No announcement yet.

The DREADED KNOCK part 2...HO block installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a difference between an HO and LOPO Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) ?
    What exactly doe the TPS control and do?

Thank you,
    M
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Oh-- you've left the lopo upper intake and throttle body on also?
      So, what's HO in it anyway then, just the block?
      If you've got an HO cam, then you need an HO upper intake, HO throttle body and egr spacer (minor machining required), HO injectors, HO ecm.
      I think we told you all of that ;-)

But if you've left it lopo, that's fine, so long as they put your lopo cam into the ho block!
      The blocks are virtually identical; the heads are a little better on the HO, and the pistons are flat top for slightly higher compression.

Shifting problems could all be attributed to the tv cable. See what the actual trans shop can do.

Comment

DREADED KNOCK # 2.5.. Hopefully part #3 will be the finale! On the POSITIVE SIDE!

Hello Good Weekend to ALL,
        I drove the kids to the park andto the Academy Store. Time to buy roller skates and got suckered into kid size golf clubs. For girls. cheap 7.99 each set of 3 24.00.

The car drove as I had been saying. I was able to pay more attention and play with the coloum shifter. Had the same results but it seems like I start off in 2 and has a 2-3 shift at 25-35 MPH possibly plus 10 MPH speedodmeter error. The 3-4 shift occurs at 45-55 MPH, again plus 10 MPH speedometer error. I figured this out when i took off from a dead start and pulled the shifter down to L and it downshifted. Apparently it is starting in 2nd gear. Playing between Od and D on the shifter has no effect and does not up shift or downshift. The trans downshifts on its own when stopping from 3-2 normally. It seems if I drive at low throttle the shift is HARD. If I drive at Hard throttle the shift is MILDER. Hmmm? If while apparently in 4th I floor it it does not kickdown at all. Same thing when it apparenty is in 3rd, no downshift into 2nd

I bet it is the LOPO ECM trying to find the correct shift points? This is a question.

Thats all...Another IPA is calling.
        I know its been listed before but does anyone know what the correct Normal shift points (2.75 rear) for BOTH an 89 HO AOD and a 91 LOPO AOD in MPH and RPMS ....PLEASE.?

Difference in parts in a stock HO AOD and a stock LOPO AOD transmission? adjustable Governor? stall speed converter?

Thank you ALL again,
        Mike
        Keep my education going please.
        90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
        90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
        91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
        70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

The AOD is entirely mechanical/hydraulically controlled. No ECM worrying about shift points....in the early days of the aero Panthers they switched to the AOD-E. E for electronic.

I don't know the difference between HO and regular AOD transmissions, but I think it's all in the governor.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

The ECM has nothing to do with the shift points. The trans isn't electronically controlled. The only thing that makes it do it's thing is the TV cable setting.

Only difference in the transmission is the governer in the tailshaft. WOT with an HO is about 4800 rpm, WOT with a lopo is about 4200. Outside of that, same stuff.

Shift points really vary based on how you drive it. The Ford process talks about using a pressure gauge and a spacer block to adjust the cable. I never do that, I just mess with it till it feels right. In manual D, WOT at 50 should downshift to second gear, WOT at 55 should not. If you get the cable so it does that, its pretty close.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Your transmission is not connected to the ecm in any way.

Go dual exhaust, you will not lose power at any point.

All mustangs had headers, though poor flowing compared to aftermarket.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
              X