Rebuild Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild Project

I hear a knock unfortunately starting in my GM right now. Sooo, I am going to buy this:

and start a rebuild project. This is something that I've always wanted to do, and I have the finances to do it, and the workspace. The knock in the GM isn't that bad yet and I'm sure it has some miles left it in it, enough to last me until the new motor is done. Never done it before, but I will be having my brother who has experience in this helping me. It'll be a complete build, new everything. I'll post updates as it goes along.

Anyone whose every done this have any advice/tips?

Should be a good starting point. Nice to have a fresh engine ready to drop in as soon as the old engine is out and things are degreased. Should try to verify that they still have all the dogbones and the retainer piece if you'll be using OE-style roller lifters. Convenient for you that the heads are off, since you can turn it over and verify that there are no nasty scratches in the bores - not needing to bore saves a few bucks on pistons.

What's the big picture for this engine project?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
      What's the big picture for this engine project?
      Honestly, to have a fresh start and to finally be able to say, the engine is new, and being given the chance to maintain a vehicle well, from the start. The trans has been rebuilt already and once this gets done, it's basically new. The body is is good enough condition that I don't need any metal work done, and really no paint (unless I want to, which I might)

This is my third GM and I finally have one that doesn't need body work done, so I figured, this is going to be my car a long time, lets start from scratch.

Comment

I'd make 100% sure that block hasn't already been bored 0.30 if the cylinders aren't perfect.

Are you going to do any performance upgrades? Conventional wisdom is that GT40 heads make sense in a stock rebuild since they don't really cost anymore as pre-rebuilt or junkyard units, and will give you (ballparking it here) 30HP over stock rather easily.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

So this block is from a 1995 Explorer, it's still the 302 5.0 so it shouldn't matter right? Going in an 1987 GM?

Comment

the block will fit but I would still have it checked out by a machine shop to make sure it isn't junk.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
              the block will fit but I would still have it checked out by a machine shop to make sure it isn't junk.
              this... I've seen explorers treated worse than mustangs. definitely worth a good checking at a machine shop.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by rsolis View Post
                So this block is from a 1995 Explorer, it's still the 302 5.0 so it shouldn't matter right? Going in an 1987 GM?
                The ad says 94 F150, besides that the Explorer didn't get the V8 until 96.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                  The ad says 94 F150, besides that the Explorer didn't get the V8 until 96.
                  I've seen f150's treated worse than Explorers. Definitely have that thing checked out, always a gamble on used engines, especially on craigslist..
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Agreed with 88Vic, there is no 95 5.0 Explorer...

Comment

if you've got the $$ get a diy shortblock from fordstrokers.com. 2k for a 347....you'll still get the experience of building it and you know the parts you're putting together are good and will work together.

can use stuff from your old motor like front covers, pan, etc
                      Last edited by 1990LTD; 11-06-2011, 01:26 AM.
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

A 95 F150 engine doesn't have the same heads as an Explorer. they had E7 heads same as a Mustang. Honestly about the best treated desirable motor you're likely to find will come out of a Lincoln Mark VII in most cases. Most desirable is probably the Explorer though because of the heads and intake. Either way a used engine needs to be at least closely inspected to make sure its not a POS.

As for the knock, once it starts to knock its only good for another 100k miles so its not like you've got much time to plan this out
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd only take an explorer motor over a mustang motor (of similar condition) if I didn't have a budget for aftermarket heads. If there's decent (ie. non-factory) heads in it's future, there's really nothing to recommend an explorer block over the mustang's that I can think of.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                          X