No announcement yet.

No lightning lower intake needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can always drill and tap further in (until you run out of material that is), but in the end, the material thickness is the limiting factor. I would guess that most of the lowers I've seen might be able to shave about a quarter to half an inch off and still be useable without the need for taps, just shorter bolts, but uppers seem to not like more than a 16th or so as the bolts tend to be right at the bottom already.

but yeah... definitely depends on the intake. I think the runners on the stock styles start turning about half an inch down. (guesstimate from what I've seen in the past)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the upper doesn't have nearly as much to shave. The stock ears aren't that thick to begin with, and they're already somewhat prone to breakage.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        Hm... seems $800 will be able to afford a Victor EFI, power elbow, and 80+mm TB.
        Remember kids, I took measurments on the lightning intake and a super victor with the medium height elbow and the super vic was only 1/2'' taller than the lightning.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

Truck intakes are wierd beasts. A regular 302 or 351 truck intake is not really that great from what I've heard, in either the upper or lower. On my 94 F-150 the first upgrade anyone recommended was the intakes. The Lightning part is nothing more than a FRPP performance part (GT-40). The Explorer is a GT-40 lower and a compatible upper. I think the upper is similar to the Cobra upper from the Stangs. You can use a tubular style Lightning upper with an Exploder lower and vice-versa. Those BC Bronco items are for the truck folks looking to convert to EFI without the $$$ Of the 351 specific GT-40 items.

Lightning intake WILL CLEAR stock Boxes on a three-five-one....
          sigpic
          https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
          1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
          1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
          2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
          2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

What about making a end spacers for 302 lower intake to fit a 351?
            I was also thinking of tig welding my own lower intake (I can tig) rather then spending nearly 1 grand for lightning lower.
            “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

What about making a end spacers for 302 lower intake to fit a 351?
              I was also thinking of tig welding my own lower intake (I can tig) rather then spending nearly 1 grand for lightning lower.
              “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

1 grand?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                  Hm... seems $800 will be able to afford a Victor EFI, power elbow, and 80+mm TB.
                  the elbow was gonna be my suggestion. Im gonna scrap my car, probably gonna try to find an older ford pick up or full size bronco with a blown motor. put my motor in it and convert to efi
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Working...
                  X