Resurrecting the wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resurrecting the wagon

Well its been quite a while since I've been around, almost 2yrs, and I'm finally getting around to putting the wagon back on the road. Why has it been so long??

Just about every one of my freeze plugs had went out on me down to the last two under the mounts. Id replaced all accessible plugs, even the ones on the back of the head, then the ones under the mounts start leaking... so... I filled them with all-steel as best as I could, worked for a week or so, then started leaking again. Another week goes by and while driving home from work, one of the plugs blows out completely...white smoke, coolant everywhere.... conveniently I was right across from a liquor store, not the worst place to breakdown. I pull in, pop the hood and wait for everything to settle down. Once I can get a look at the plug, I see all that's left is the outside ring....no hope for immediate repair so I call the tow rig and settle down with a tallboy......

The following weekend I found an '86 accord hatchback on craigslist for $500 and long story short, the wagon hasn't been in commission since.

This was all back in mid '10 and now I have a total of 4 cars; the wagon, and the accords, 86hatch, 87sedan, 89sedan parts car. So... as you can see Ive had my hands full of 3geez and put the wagon on the back burner.

But now the time has come, to get the wagon back on the road again..... V8 power and an automatic tranny, tons of room and comfort, and 4000lbs of steel surrounding me........ I miss the big old girl, and besides... the accords don't tow the boat very well.

Any tips for these bastard motor mounts? I've got an engine hoist if that will be better than a jack and 2x4.

bastard motor mounts? its easy to unbolt the mounts from the engine(im guessing your pulling the engine?). and glad to hear your fixing up your wagon.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Motormounts are fairly simple jack up motor( don't forget to take the exhaust apart not doing this cost me new flange bolts and a new flange)
      Taking the upper intake off is a good idea too
      And jack up high enough to undo the bolt holding the motor in if done correctly shouldnt be to bad at all pull bolts and the motor can now be jacked higher undo mounts themselves replace with new ones drop engine bolt and go
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

marquisman

(im guessing your pulling the engine?)
        Not pulling the motor, just replacing the freeze plugs under the mounts, and the mounts if they look bad.

zoomie

Motormounts are fairly simple jack up motor( don't forget to take the exhaust apart not doing this cost me new flange bolts and a new flange)
        Taking the upper intake off is a good idea too
        And jack up high enough to undo the bolt holding the motor in if done correctly shouldnt be to bad at all pull bolts and the motor can now be jacked higher undo mounts themselves replace with new ones drop engine bolt and go
        Thanks for the exhuast reminder.

Looking under the car it looks like the engine bolts shouldnt be too bad, but the mount bolts look like a PITA with the control arms.

Comment

I replaced driver side motor mount on 86 CS, and remember having to get a 3/8 drive shallow well swivel set (I think I needed 1/2). Then again maybe I used this as an excuse to get more tools!

Comment

Well finally got my freeze plugs done.

All I have to say is expandable tighten down plugs FTW.

Getting brass plugs back in just wasn't happening for the middle ones.

Comment

Working...
            X