No announcement yet.

351 swap headers+ exhaust questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aaagghhhhh!!! I gotta get batteries for my camera so I can get pics of things.

johnunit: The place where your cats rest against the crossmember is where my father clamped the H-pipe. He took new exhaust clamps and welded tabs (cut-up u-bolts of old exhaust clamps) to them. It really stiffened the exhaust. I will go with the shortys for a little bit until I have the time to fab longtubes somehow. My H-pipe doesn't lean like you guys, it just points downwards at the cats. The exhaust clamps are the lowest point and have taken quite a bit of punishment over the years. I found that POR15 sticks to exhaust pipes. When I was undercoating the CV, it dripped onto the exhaust. It has lasted longer than the high temp paint.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      this is why custom is worth it. like said, when i installed the headers on the 5.8L in the lincoln this summer, i had custom pipes bent to the glass packs/tail pipes. dont see a thing and is clean. and no pics till it comes out of stoage next year lol

^this x1000

Full Custom Bent 2 1/4in or 2 1/2in exhaust from manifolds to tail pipes can be had here for $300-350 anywhere around here, not including mufflers.

Take a look at the Custom 2 1/4in Dual Exhaust on my '80 LTD, pics are in my RR thread. That is a well done custom 2 1/4in dual exhaust system, that was done by a local shop for only $350 including the Flowmaster 40's.

and, you guys are paying $4-500 for ill-fitting stuff made for fox bodies?

Comment

Around my way, I'd be paying double what they charge down there. Like usual, I learned after time, that I can probably fab the pieces up myself.

Packman

Comment

Johnunit, do you have heat stove provisions on both sides? Did you just cut up a stock heat stove and clamp it close to the new manifold?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yes. I did for the driver's side. The passenger side is a hedman part that was sort of a rip. I get into detail in the captions above the underhood pics above.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Awesome pix and writeup John! Thanks! I hadn't even though about that stovepipe, since it's been gone for year. I'm going to be very interested to see how my walker 2.25 h-pipe bolts up.... the other john (86vickyLX) used a mark VII h-pipe and it fit up there well, however rock auto is out of them...

LTDman83, if i could get a custom exhaust done for that price i would! haha, does that price include the performance headers? i can't imagine it does..

Headers are on:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01875.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	1268225
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Doesn't include headers for that price.

Although the exhaust guy I know will custom build you a set of longtubes for an extra $300. Tis the route I'm going with my 351 build on the LTD.

Comment

I'm not sure whether I'd go the same route or not. In a perfect world I'd absolutely have custom exhaust all the way back, but I was getting quotes in the 1000 dollar + headers and mufflers range. Though it would have been cheaper without cats, but so would the mustang parts.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                    Awesome pix and writeup John! Thanks! I hadn't even though about that stovepipe, since it's been gone for year. I'm going to be very interested to see how my walker 2.25 h-pipe bolts up.... the other john (86vickyLX) used a mark VII h-pipe and it fit up there well, however rock auto is out of them...

LTDman83, if i could get a custom exhaust done for that price i would! haha, does that price include the performance headers? i can't imagine it does..

Headers are on:
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]31079[/ATTACH]

Did you start her up with just the headers? You're gonna enjoy this upgrade..........er repair.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
                      ^this x1000

Full Custom Bent 2 1/4in or 2 1/2in exhaust from manifolds to tail pipes can be had here for $300-350 anywhere around here, not including mufflers.

Take a look at the Custom 2 1/4in Dual Exhaust on my '80 LTD, pics are in my RR thread. That is a well done custom 2 1/4in dual exhaust system, that was done by a local shop for only $350 including the Flowmaster 40's.

and, you guys are paying $4-500 for ill-fitting stuff made for fox bodies?
                      You'd be paying closer to $1000 around here for a custom 2.5" exhaust from the manifolds back. And that's if you could find a shop that would look the other way about missing cats.

And I paid around $200 for the exhasut on my winter wagon (including headers)
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

hehe...not yet. Although it is tempting my neighbors are a bit...high strung lol.
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

oh and about the AC line you cut....i just automatically unbolted my compressor and put it aside, had no problems getting the header down that way, just for a reference to those future do-it-yourselfers
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                            You'd be paying closer to $1000 around here for a custom 2.5" exhaust from the manifolds back. And that's if you could find a shop that would look the other way about missing cats.
                            This sounds about right for my area as well. The cat back on my red car was $450; the front pipes were $400.

I have the "Mustang" system on my white coupe, and find the fit to be acceptable. Of course, my buddy and I wrangled it for quite some time, until it fit to my linking.

But, the main reason I prefer the Mustang parts, is because they are truly mandrel bent. That means the bends are constant diamater. Very few (and I mean very few) local exhaust shops have a mandrel bender (they are 10 times as costly as a conventional bender). They have machines that bend pipe without the "crinkle" look, but the bend itself has a reduced diameter. That is not the case with any aftermarket bolt on upgrades; at least with pipes made by a reputable manufacturer.

And yes, constant diameter bends are a big deal.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                              oh and about the AC line you cut....i just automatically unbolted my compressor and put it aside, had no problems getting the header down that way, just for a reference to those future do-it-yourselfers
                              yeah... that's probably smarter lol. I was angry at the car and figured it'd be ages before I get AC working anyway.

RE open headers: didn't someone have an issue with something melting when they did that? I think that was on a 351W engine.

Comment

I drove my car 15 miles to an exhaust shop on a Saturday morning with the cat back wired up under the car, and no exhaust aft of the headers, or forward of the transmission crossmember.

I had no issues.
                                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                                X