Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 GM 5.0 engine squak

Hello y'all,

Any suggestions to reduce the engine/belt squaks? It's rather loud and embarrassing now that the weather has cooled and engine is cold... Seems like most of it coming from the water pump area. Some WD40 or engine oil spay does the job, but I'm not sure how and what exactly to grease up. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature

If the belts are original or of questionable age, you should replace them.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Pull the belts and spin the parts individually. You'll find whatever is noisy. Lubing it won't be a fix, you'll need to replace whatever part is noisy. If the belts are shot or loose, it also will make lots of noise. The alternator side belt on these tends to require lots of tension to not make horrible noises.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The belts don't look like they're original, but I'll have another look. This would have made a good project in the summer!

It looks like the squaks are coming from the water pump area. Some spray of WD40 in the area reduces the squak a little bit, although its tough to tell because the radiator fan splatters it all over the place! But I must say I had a good result with belt conditioning spray as well, although all these solutions produced very short lived results.

So does squak = replacement?

Comment

if there are cracks on the belt (on the inside,the part that has the ribbing) I'd replace it. When I tension the alternator belt I use a medium sides pry bar, breaker bar, etc. Carefully find a place down near the bottom/inner mount for the alternator bracket to find, put the other end of the bar up against the alternator housing, and pry with all your might (at least if you're a normal strength guy like me). Make sure the bolt on the top of the alternator holding it to the bracket is tight too. I find it easier to tension properly if I have it still dragging noticeably when I pull it to tension. I then either have a buddy or my left hand tighten it while holding the bar in tension with my right. It's not a finesse job, and I've undertightened and had to re-do it. The sound is a weird intermittent belt chirp that has gotten me worried about accessories, and I'd say that's the case for you. Just buy a brand-name belt, tighten it like hell, and even if that's not the problem at least you've done relatively cheap preventative maintanence.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

My engie squeak noise is rather continuous, instead of intermittent belt chirp/slip noise. It is quite loud when engine is cold, and goes down after about 30 minutes of driving.

Comment

Working...
            X