Possible blown head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible blown head gasket?

I know I've had alot of plans for my car but I kindof put them off when I realized it wasnt worth it since the car is pretty rusty underneath. The rearend is the worst culprit. The frame is very good but the rest of the under carrige is messy. The body is quite decieving since its completly rust free, with the exception of the bottom and inside of the doors, but you only see that once they're open. That was just another project that I planned on getting to put just decided against it since with the rest of the rust underneath it just didnt pay. So I focus on keeping her running strong, which for the most part it does well. But lately it's developed an anti freeze leak. I had some crack head change out the water pump last year with a remanufactured one. He spent well over 8 hours replacing the water pump and he completly redid the rear brakes (Everything except the brake lines) all for 200 bucks in labor. He only wanted 150 dollars but I threw an extra 50 bucks his way since he worked so hard on the thing and he did a damn good job. So I just assumed the water pump went bad, since remanufactured parts always seem to do that to me. But I realized that Antifreeze was pooling up and mixing with oil in a section behind the water pump, so it seemed like a sign the head gasket was blown. BUT there dosent appear to be any antifreeze mixing with oil in the oil pan. This is what baffles me. Any thoughts? I only have 83,500 miles on it. The previous owner was an older lady and she sure didn't beat on the thing. (It only had 66,000 miles when I got it and that was two years ago. The woman let the car sit in the mud under a tree for a year without driving it so mabye the lack of useage made the seals dry up a bit? But of course I'm speculating)

sigpic

Have your system pressure checked. You are likely leaking from your timing cover or thermostat area. This is likely NOT a head gasket issue. Any time you replace the water pump on an old 302/351W, the timing cover gaskets should also be changed since some of the bolts hold on the timing cover also. This is an ideal time to put in a fresh timing chain.

Comment

yup can be the intake timing gaskets or hose or tstat housing. Just fixed my leak it was the t stat housing.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

im gonna say either t-stat housing, timing cover or the intake gasket is leaking.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

probably thermostat gasket plus the intake gasket. One leaks coolant, the other leaks oil, and both dump onto the top of the timing cover behind the water pump. I'm also going to give a +1 on a new timing chain. The 84 has a crappy timing set, and its at an age and mileage where having that chain jump is quite possible. I've known several people who had chains hop on these, and they do bend valves when it happens.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I appologize for my late response in this thread. I meant to respond sooner but I've been pre-occupied. Anyway I'll take your advice and change that timing chain and those gaskets asap. I've been driving it alot less and I've been staying local this past month untill I can maketime to do this. It's important to get on this, I know. Once again your guys advice has saved me once again! As a strange side note, since I've stopped driving so much and so far it appears to have stopped I would say 95% of the leaking. It's wierd since it's not like I've stopped driving it completly.

sigpic

Comment

heat thins out the oil and makes it more inclined to leak. There is also no oil flinging around under the intake if the engine isn't running.

Oh, another possible leak point is the O ring on the distributor. I believe the intake gasket set comes with this, but if it doesn't, replace it. It should be soft and rubbery. Guaranteed yours will feel more like hard plastic.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X