Trickling Heat At Vents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trickling Heat At Vents

While I'm tapping the collective knowledge (on a Saturday I actually have to work on the car - at least until the Rolex 24 starts) I have one other question:

I have manual heat/AC controls - when everything is OFF, a small amount of air comes from the dash vents. The problem is that it's HOT air (I'm in South Florida and rarely actually want hot air). If I put the controls in "vent" and turn on the fan, again it blows hot. Makes it so that if it's too cool for the windows down I still have to run the A/C to keep from overheating from the heat trickling in.

I'm guessing this is a bad seal on the blend door, but don't know. The blend control works ok, though it's a bit sticky, so it's not disconnected.

Any thoughts on this? And do I have to remove the whole damn dash to get at the blend door?

Thanks again in advance.

Brad

Hey Brad did you get anywhere with this? My dad is having a similar issue after having his transmission replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by ad29 View Post
      Hey Brad did you get anywhere with this? My dad is having a similar issue after having his transmission replaced.
      Unfortunately, no. I haven't had a chance to take shit apart. I'm assuming it's a blend door issue, but have other things I need to content with first, like replacing the headlight switch and the intermittent fuel gauge.

If you learn anything, I'd love to hear about it...

Comment

Hey Brad,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. No problem, will do!!! Good luck with your to-do's.

Andrew

Comment

probably the blend door seal (and any number of other seals in the air plenum). You have to remove the dash to get at it though. Check out the Heater-Core-Write-Up sticky in the HVAC forum where this thread should have been for info on how to get at the air plenum with all the crapped out seals. this job WILL take a while and will require draining the radiator below the level of the heater core. If your car is a 90 or 91 with the newer dash... it's the same idea, but with the bolts in somewhat different locations. (no write-up on those that I know of)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X