head gasket ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head gasket ?

we just replaced the head gaskets on my buddy 81 5.0 and when we went to put the gaskets it closed off the the front water jackets on both sides except for a small hole. is this correct. the head gaskets are made by engine tech and it has front labled on the gaskets so the installer knows which way to go. thanks 84 merc
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

They don't use both coolant passages in the block to my knowledge, I think that's just how the head gaskets are. When in doubt, compare to the old ones.

Comment

That's funny - IIRC, both Fel-Pro and FRPP head gaskets are the same right to left.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Its only one gasket for left and right, but it only goes on there one way. If you put it so the 'front' marking is in back, it blocks a coolant passage and causes problems. The small hole does sound familiar, though honestly its been a couple years since I actually looked at a 302 HG.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Some head gaskets have a tab that sticks out in the front if there positioned properly. The word front when puting them on faces up on one side and down on the other.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

can't say I know the answer off hand, but maybe this thread helps?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Those head gaskets are fine, the front water passages are suppose to be blocked off on 302's (5.0).

Comment

thank you very much. was a lil confused.:smirk:
                1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
                1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

Working...
                X