fuel pump eccentric hits cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel pump eccentric hits cover

im helping a buddy put in a 1974 302 into his cv. he bought a new double roller timing set and a 1 piece fuel pump eccentric as the seller didnt inclued those parts. the problem here is that the timing cover is hiting his eccentric. the eccentric is a 0ne piece and the timing cover is also a 1974. what do we do. thanks
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

bump bump
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

i read that we can eaither grind down the eccentric or not use the double roller and just buy a stock oem replacement. whatch think guys

Comment

You can also wire in a low pressure fuel pump as well (though more expensive). Most modders I've seen just grind down stuff till it fits.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Funky. Where and how is it hitting?

Is this fuel pump eccentric intended as a stock replacement? Did it end up installed with a spacer under it that it shouldn't have?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

This is a common issue. Just get a 2 piece eccentric. There is no reason to Bubba a 1 piece to fit as the 2 piece are plentiful.

Originally posted by slymer View Post
            .. Most modders I've seen just grind down stuff till it fits.
            Most I know use the proper parts.

Comment

i called ford racing and they said the double roller timing set we bought is for a 2 piece fuel eccentric and that we need to by the set that uses a 1 piece. i guess the thickness of the cam gear is different between the 2. we had a gap of like an 1/8. we knew it was something to do with the timing set because we through his old non-roller stock set on with the 1 piece eccentric and it fit just fine. yea his motor in his 81 cv blew up so he bought a running 74 302 for like 50 bucks off craigslist and all it needed was a new timing set. thanks for the replys

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                Most I know use the proper parts.
                most I know are kids or rednecks. you can probably infer the rest.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  most I know are kids or rednecks. you can probably infer the rest.
                  So they're Chevy guys?
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    So they're Chevy guys?
                    and ricers

Comment

thanks for the help and knowledge. i order a double roller for my buddy that uses a 1 piece eccentric, 37 bucks from summit and your right i red online that this happens alot with smbf swaps with new parts. thanks again 84merc.

Comment

Originally posted by 84merc951 View Post
                        i called ford racing and they said the double roller timing set we bought is for a 2 piece fuel eccentric and that we need to by the set that uses a 1 piece. i guess the thickness of the cam gear is different between the 2. we had a gap of like an 1/8. we knew it was something to do with the timing set because we through his old non-roller stock set on with the 1 piece eccentric and it fit just fine. yea his motor in his 81 cv blew up so he bought a running 74 302 for like 50 bucks off craigslist and all it needed was a new timing set. thanks for the replys
                        Huh, if that's the case that'd be why I never had that trouble. My double-roller engine ended up with a 2-piece eccentric, and my 1-piece eccentric ended up installed over a non-double-roller timing set.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I was afraid this would happen when I had the engine apart for my car last year. There are specific timing sets for either a 1 or 2 piece eccentric. One has a raised mounting surface on the cam gear (I believe the two piece), and one does not.

The dowel pins are different lengths for a 1 piece, vs. 2 piece eccentric, as well.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                          X