Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CEL 12 and correct procedure for cleaning Ford IAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CEL 12 and correct procedure for cleaning Ford IAC?

I just pulled my IAC on my 90 Grand Marquis and wondered about cleaning it. Would figure you would detach the electrical motor (two Phillips screws). Can you spray some throttle plate (3M) cleaner in there? Mine didn't look that gunked up, but deep inside there's a shaft with some sort of rubber seal that seals between the two holes. You can't reach it with clean towels or fingers, so figure spray may help.

Thanks everyone-
    95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
    96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
    77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
    98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
    90 Grand Marquis, stock

I use a bit of spray like brake cleaner or WD-40 and Q-Tips down in whatever I can reach once the electrical motor is separated from the plunger assembly. The two philips head screws split the unit right nice. Careful you don't tear up any gaskets or seals and you should be golden when you get it put back together!
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I wish you could take out that plunger and clean, but you cannot...
      95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
      96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
      77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
      98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
      90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

Leave it attached to the car, start it up, and shot short bursts of cleaner into the (IAC) hole. Too much and the car will stall, if its a routine cleaning and not gunked up this'll clean it up without a lot of extra work (even if minor. You get lazy as you get older) =-)

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
          Leave it attached to the car, start it up, and shot short bursts of cleaner into the (IAC) hole. Too much and the car will stall, if its a routine cleaning and not gunked up this'll clean it up without a lot of extra work (even if minor. You get lazy as you get older) =-)

Alex.
          +1 what he said. Any can of carburetor/throttle body cleaner will work too. If it's uber gunked up... it'll take longer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

you can indeed take the valve off of the solenoid to clean the valve itself. you'll get more than you would just by spraying it into the TB. as has been mentioned, you might not need to though.

if it's never been cleaned before i'd take it apart and clean it, and clean the bejesus out of the throttle body and IAC passages therein.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
            X