Three new codes....12, 21, and 34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three new codes....12, 21, and 34

OK, a 34 popped up about a month ago, now I have a 12 and 21. The 21 is easy, that's the engine coolant temp sensor for the PCM. 12 is the IAC, which might be helped by cleaning, but maybe not. 34's the EGR, which again, might be helped by cleaning, but you also have to clean the intake passages as well. What do you all think?
    95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
    96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
    77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
    98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
    90 Grand Marquis, stock

that god damn code 34. pull the EGR and check. prolly more than likly, the potentiometer is gone. iv replaced somany on my bros car, that i eliminted the damn thing. since, if the ECM thinks its open, it will dump more fuel. when the EGR works, its good. its the fact that now, parts are shit now adays.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

how do you eliminate the egr or the evp sensor? ive wanted to get rid of my wifes on her 86 cp because hers always comes up with a code 31. I think a 31 is low signal to the evp.
      Last edited by 84merc951; 02-05-2012, 12:17 PM.
      1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
      1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

they have all you need, for EGR elimination. if you dont want to buy a blocker plate, you can make one too.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

thank you sir.
          1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
          1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

You also get 21 if the engine isn't warmed up.

31 is usually a bad sensor, but may be the metal plate inside the valve that the sensor contacts is bent or worn away. 34 may be a bad sensor, or a chunk of crap stuck under the valve pintle. Honestly if you can fix the egr system, you're better off. You get a CH of fuel economy out of it, and it does no harm to engine performance. The birds like it too.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X