Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, at a loss...Engine hesitation, stalling, sputtering...etc

84 Crown Vic w/stock 302 CFI...

Changed fuel filter, checked choke, throttle, tune-up 12,000 ago.

Car simply isn't running well. Feels extremely sluggish and hesitates a lot on acceleration. It will be going down the road and will just simply lose all power unless I back off the throttle to where I'm basically feathering it, then it will slowly regain power again. Will sometimes stall out when coming to a stop.

Was to the point where it go 100yds down the road and simply stall out, but it's gotten better in the last day or so after I put in some dry gas and fuel injector cleaner.

Gunked up EGR? Bad MAP sensor?

Looking for some ideas, I'd appreciate it.

i had some issues like that with my 84 cfi. check you tps voltage. i think you want it around .98 volts. Put you voltage tester on the green wire thats on the tps with the key on and see what it says. also check while the car is running and wiggle the wires that are going to the distributor and see if the car dies. mine cfi used to die alot and the pigtail to the tfi distributor was bad. unfortunetly the check engine light wont come on unless there catasrofic failure so you can also scan the computer for codes and see what comes back. check your fuel pressure at the tbi with the engine running (should be around 36 psi if i remember right) a bad fuel pump will also give you problems like you have. good luck
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

Originally posted by TFatseas View Post
      Gunked up EGR? Bad MAP sensor?
      Yes and yes, check both things. EGR is a pretty common bug with these types of things, give the system a good clean out and check the EGR system for functionality. MAP is worth a look as well.

You also should look at the TPS sensor and make sure that it is getting correct voltages in all positions, open and closed. Run KOEO codes to see what the car says for bugs. TFI/PIP sensor is also worth a check, that is a matter of testing with a multimeter.

Do you have a factory manual? This will give you a lot of the troubleshooting options.
      1984 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (Daily Driver)
      1979 Ford LTD-S (Project)

Comment

How many miles on it? have you replaced the timing chain? The pre-86 motors are known for having shitty timing chains, and its not unheard of for them to jump before the 100k mile point.

it does sound like a loss of fuel. Have you checked fuel pressure? Could be the pump is dying.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, bypassed the EGR tonight, it feels like I got some of the power back, but it still stalls out.

58K on the clock, not because the car was babied or anything, but because the car had sat for years.

No factory manual for the car.

Haven't replaced the timing chain, going to look into that.

I've never really heard of a fuel pump going weak, I just figured they worked till they quit.

I look it over some more tomorrow in the daylight.

Comment

check the fuel pressure at the tbi. also for a quick check that takes 2 mins is a scan for codes. the computer if its sick will tell you whats going on and you will be able to pin point the issue. good luck
            1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
            1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

usually they work until they die, but its not impossible for them to get weak, have the sock clog, or have that rubber hose inside the tank between the outlet of the pump and the pump hanger to crack and piss fuel back into the tank instead of sending it down the line.

Also worth checking the timing to make sure its where it belongs. If its suddenly shifted, stop driving it and replace the timing chain immediately. These are interference motors and when the chain jumps you will need new valves in the heads.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Had it sitting for the last few days, took it out today and it drove around for about 30mins and it's like the last two weeks of problems never occurred. Haven't touched it since bypassing the EGR Thursday. Stalled once while warming up, but I attribute that to the 15 degree weather outside more than anything else, it didn't happen again once the engine warmed up. Drives okay now.

Oh well, I can't complain. Saves me money.

Comment

I had issues with the wiring going to the TPS failing and causing those symptoms. Didn't notice it until I bumped the harness by mistake while the engine was idling, and it cut out...

Comment

Electrical short??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

This is a stock '84 302/CFI. There is no plug-n-play computer scan for this as it would still be EEC 3 if I remember correctly.

On my '83, I replaced the crank position sensor, ignition module, and ECM, and I have never had a stall since--the car runs like factory new now; my choking with A/C on and WOT went away; no more stalling between reverse and drive; no more funky idling. I agree with above posters about checking TPS and related wiring/voltage.

Comment

It was my EGR valve. It just took a couple of days for the car to straighten itself out after I bypassed it weirdly enough.

I'd leave it bypassed but that seemed to kill my MPG's so I'll head to a local junkyard this weekend and see if I can find one.

Comment

84 is EEC-IV...

Comment

where is the location off the crank posistioning sensor in a 84 cfi? didnt know they had one.

Comment

Originally posted by 84merc951 View Post
                              where is the location off the crank posistioning sensor in a 84 cfi? didnt know they had one.
                              oh i think its called the pip sensor thats in the distributor. sorry went blank. yea the tps wiring is bad on mine also. there was a short in the wiring beacuse the ground was getting power somewhere along the bundle. good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X