front cover/water pump bolt goodness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front cover/water pump bolt goodness

I didn't mix the bolts up (they're still in their original holes in the water pump), so let's get that out of the way first

I've seen different websites and different books list contradictory information regarding the front cover and water pump bolts - Some say just use engine oil on the front cover thread and non-hardening sealer on the water pump bolts (as well as the intake manifold bolts, FWIW) - Other say to use sealer on the front cover and nothing on the water pump bolts.

What's the deal? The car is my 90, so it's an SEFI, no fuel pump to worry about. What do you use on the threads of what bolts when you're doing the timing chain?

How about on the intake manifold bolts? Use sealer on those too?

My plan was to use the sealer on anything near the water passages in the front cover, and on all of the WP bolts. There's slight pitting around the passages but you can't feel any irregularities with your finger running across the gasket surface, I was going to put a thin film of RTV on the timing cover around those passages just to be safe. Also going to put some RTV in the keyway of the balancer when it goes on.

What say you?
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 04-06-2012, 08:32 PM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Sealer on the front most bolts for the intake manifold. Where the water passages are. The rest leave alone.

Comment

sealer where it hits water. Something that doesn't harden. Pipe dope or something like Permatex #2 is fine. The others need to be clean of rust and gunk and other shit, and I like to spray a little wd40 or similar in the holes to wash the crud out. Light application of RTV to take care of the voids in the cover is perfect, just don't glob it in there. Ditto on the dab in the balancer keyway.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This is the stuff I picked up

Do you think it will suffice?

I bought red thread locker without even thinking that it's going to have to come apart at some point when I rebuild it properly. Gotta go back and get some of the blue stuff for the cam and crank bolts, I can always just exchange that sealant for something more suitable.

Would you do the light film of RTV all the way around the timing cover or just near the water? Would you do the thin skim of RTV around the water jackets on the head as well? Seems like it would do a decent job of holding the gasket in place before I plop the intake on top, as well.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

When I did the timing chain I used RTV on all mating surfaces, nothing on failsafe bolts, and good antiseize on the rest of the bolts (after wire wheel cleaning). I couldn't find my neighbors' torque wrench so I winged it. I haven't touched the intake. I'm a hack, so YMMV, but no leaks so far.

Pete
          Originally posted by gadget73
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Working...
          X