valve seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve seals

I figure I should probably replace my valve seals while I've got my motor down to the block/heads, I would need to borrow the gear (I have no spring or air compressor) to do it but seals can't be that expensive.

If I have no valvetrain installed, would all of the valves be closed?

I'm just thinking I could do this before I put my lifters n pushrods back in and just pressurize all of the cylinders in turn without mucking about turning the crank and finding TDC.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

I realize there's the danger of dropping a valve down to a piston at BDC or something and needing to pull the head, but I don't see that happening with all of the valves closed anyway, unless I've got a really burned one (which AFAIK I don't)

Gonna fix what I got and run it til it breaks.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

honestly, if you're that far in, pull the heads. It's just one more set of gaskets. then you don't have to worry about dropping a valve. Technically you should clean up the valve stem to make sure there are no burrs that could potentially damage your valve seals.

Comment

I promised myself that if I have to pull the heads they're gonna be doorstops There has been a set of E7s with upgraded springs for $125 for sale here forever...i'd imagine it has new seals, he says they're ready to install. I just need a job to get the money to do anything at this point
        sigpic

Comment

Slightly better doorstop heads? :p

Comment

Working...
          X