X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing tfi module?

stupid easy question.
    what holds the tfi module on?

I can't see in there deeply enough/ well enough to see if it's torx, hex of a certain size, philips.... or if it's riveted.
    If it's riveted, I'll need to pull the dizzy to get the module off I presume?

thanks!
    -Bernard

I want to say either a 4.5 or 5.5 millimeter bolt holding it on. Need a special tool or a very thin walled socket to get at the bolts.

Comment

Just buy the balla tool
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        Just buy the balla tool
        +1 (I have the first one pictured)

2 screws and then slide downward. Might need to loosen the dizzy so you can lift it up enough to clear the module. Some cars seem to need the dizzy loose... some don't.

remember to clean the surface on the dizzy and put more thermal goop on with the new module.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

its a 5.5mm socket. a regular shallow wont always work. a deep 5.5mm will work good. i will tell you this, iv seen flat head screws before lol.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Ok, my car quit a few weeks ago a few minutes after start up then restarted a few minutes later, then all was good. Now, it is in a complete no start condition, I hear fuel pump running, battery fully charged, car cranking hard, etc. I bought the special tool and a new TFI module (the oreillys aftermarket one is actually a motorcraft part in a different box) , but am having trouble getting the coolant temp? sensor connector next to the distributor/tfi module off thats in the way of using the special tool. My left hand is injured so im kind of working one handed and feel stupid asking this question, but thanks in advance for any help.
            Attached Files

Comment

You can also loosen the distributor to spin it into a direction where you can access the bolts easier. This would require you to set the timing again though. You can mark the distributor currently location so setting the timing back should be pretty quick.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Pull the distributor. Its not clocked correctly anyway. It should not be jammed against the thermostat housing like that. bet you that it being next to the hot water helped make it die. Replace the O ring on the distributor while it's out.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X