1990 grand marquis smog pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 grand marquis smog pump

I am trying to fix my smog pump on my 1990 grand marquis. I have taken all of it apart mostly but I can not get the last piece apart. Here are some pics of it.
    What part do I take off from here and how.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lH4vR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1299011

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1051[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1299012

Never seen anyone repair one, though I'm sure someone here has a good spare around they'd get rid of cheap.

IF you can find a disassembly diagram for almost any other ford, they are all basically the same.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I just took my smog pump to the scrap yard today, got about 2 bucks for it. Wish I saw the thread before I went, you could have had it.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
        Never seen anyone repair one, though I'm sure someone here has a good spare around they'd get rid of cheap.

IF you can find a disassembly diagram for almost any other ford, they are all basically the same.

I looked every where but I cant find a disassembly diagram

Comment

Probaby a "JY" item. Don't know of any aftermarket replacements and have never seen a parts diagram for it. The factory manuals only talk about how to remove and replace it. Let us know if you find one! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I have had one all appart. I ripped the vanes out of one years ago to use for a idler pulley so to speak. Dont believe anthing in one is servacable vanes bearings etc unobtainium. You would be suprised how noisy they are the carbon/ fibergass or what ever blades are rubbing inside the housing.
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
              I have had one all appart. I ripped the vanes out of one years ago to use for a idler pulley so to speak. Dont believe anthing in one is servacable vanes bearings etc unobtainium. You would be suprised how noisy they are the carbon/ fibergass or what ever blades are rubbing inside the housing.

Do you know how I would take it apart from where I am at now?

Comment

Do you actually need it where you are? Its not required for the engine to run correctly or pass emissions, but if you have a visual inspection, it needs to be there.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Do you actually need it where you are? Its not required for the engine to run correctly or pass emissions, but if you have a visual inspection, it needs to be there.
                  I need it because the smog pump runs on the same belt as my ac so I either going to fix it or gut it on. The smog pump just stopped and locked up and broke the belt

Comment

You can get a shorter belt just to run the AC. I forget the part number but someone has it.
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

ya....i would ditch the smog pump...if you need a "new" one......A1-cardone rebuilds them...part #32-291...lifetime warranty...but they are $82.99 + 8.00 core @ oreilly.....(almost all parts store use A1-cardone...so autozone...advance...napa...federated etc.....some rebox it into there own box).....id imagine much less at a JY

Comment

shorter AC belt is the 56 inch belt. K060560

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

How would I put it on without a tighten it without the belt tensioner

Comment

put the belt tensioner back on the car... leave the smog pump off. Belt will go over the tensioner both ways (crank to A/C to tensioner).

The attached pic shows the belt position. you may have to take the rear bolt out of the tensioner all the way to get the belt over the pulley.

also, a K060565 belt would probably give enough slack to make it over the pulley without removing that bolt... but I've never seen one of those.
                            Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

+1 on the short belt method. Been using that for years on my car, ever since the smog pump went TU.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X