Everything Is Leaking Everywhere!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything Is Leaking Everywhere!

Well, the wagon has recently decided to leave all kinds of puddles in all kinds of places.

When I replaced the thermostat a couple weeks ago, I had to put over a gallon of antifreeze in the radiator and overfill tank, and again a week later. I do have coolant dripping slowly, and I know there is some seepage from the bottom of the thermostat housing.

Oil leaks, too, of course. The underside of the front end is dripping--oil on all the parts down there. It's a fairly new development, but one that confounds me. Occasionally, I do not lose oil over the course of a couple weeks, but I need at least a quart a week most of the time. There also seems to be an intermittent valve cover gasket leak (every few drives, there is oil burning on the exhaust manifold) but nothing at the top of the engine is wet much anymore like it often was in December when I first picked up the car.

Why is everything so temperamental and spasmodic?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    "Now it's over; I'm dead, and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do." -TMBG

1991 Grand Marquis GS Colony Park Towing -Dead-Stock & Tired LoPo 5.0

1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera International -I'm kind of sorry to admit it's still mine. In temporary custody of a friend who was desperate for a car.

**Would replacing a potentially clogged PCV valve alleviate symptoms?
    "Now it's over; I'm dead, and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do." -TMBG

1991 Grand Marquis GS Colony Park Towing -Dead-Stock & Tired LoPo 5.0

1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera International -I'm kind of sorry to admit it's still mine. In temporary custody of a friend who was desperate for a car.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjoern0115 View Post
      **Would replacing a potentially clogged PCV valve alleviate symptoms?
      It wouldn't stop the oil leaks completely, but replacing the PCV screen under the valve will keep the leaks from getting worse...

Comment

Originally posted by Bjoern0115 View Post
        Why is everything so temperamental and spasmodic?
        Welcome to old car ownership.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
          Welcome to old car ownership.
          ditto

Comment

I think the only original gaskets on my motor are between the block and heads. Timing cover seal is new. Trans pan gasket is even new.

Every other seal? Original Needs axle seals....rear main is fine for now. When it goes it's not getting fixed...at least not in the ca,r and it will be a perfect excuse for a gofast build.
            Last edited by 1990LTD; 06-29-2012, 02:06 AM.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

twenty plus years will do that unfortunately....just gotta attack the leaks.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
              X