Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel tank jitters: anything overlooked?

Hey forum!

My fuel level sending unit has dead spots in it. I finally located a new old stock sending unit, and that's what I'm going to install.
    I've never messed with a fuel tank/ fuel system before.
    I'm keeping this car for a while, and I like to invest in the long term when it makes sense, taking care of any adjacent jobs while I'm into one part.

So now's a good time to do a fuel pump, too. It's inevitable, at 22 years and 147,000 miles. And my sister's colony park is making angry fuel pump noises now, so doing the job on my own will be good practice for helping her out when I visit her in Iowa.

I wanted to ask, in your experience, are the fuel tanks themselves for life, or do many of them end up rusting out or leaking? For $120, I can get a spectra fuel tank; and if this is the last time I want to do this job, it may be $120 well spent.
    I wanted to ask, is there a short pigtail of fuel line between the hardline on the frame and the pump, that I should be replacing as well?
    I wanted to ask, should I throw in some new straps for $20 while I'm at it, too?
    And I wanted to ask, since it's been mentioned in another thread, should I get/ where can I find, a fresh locking ring, and do I need any special tools to turn it?

Finally, here's what came with my acdelco fuel pump from rockauto (in addition to the pump itself of course, didn't bother to show it). Looking at it, I think I need to purchase separately the filter/sock? That big rubber ring, is that the o ring seal that goes underneath the locking ring? Is there any other seal, line, clamp, whatever, that I want to have on hand before I drop my fuel tank and only belatedly find I need to run to the parts store?

thanks! Just wanna be prepared!
    -Bernard

mine sprung a leak sitting in my driveway. Tank looked fine, but it rubbed through where the straps are. The Mark VII did the same thing. I've seen that a couple other times too where it worked fine until dropped. I'd buy a new tank, but thats me. Get the fuel neck filler seal as well, and the seal up at the other end where the fuel tank door is. Theres a rubber boot on the back side of that.

Use a brass punch to undo the lock ring. Tap each tab around and it will come out. The brass is so it doesn't spark.

I would replace the fuel hose between pump and hanger, but the wires I wouldn't worry about unless they look damaged.

yes, you need a fuel sock. and the square O ring is for under the hanger for the pump assembly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have replaced a few tanks. I have found pinhole leaks by the straps. Make sure the car is very low on fuel before changing it. I would replace the straps but not from Ebay unless they are genuine Ford. Make sure you do not pinch the rubber gasket on the sending unit. I have made thin rubber strips to put between the tank and straps. Prevents the metal to metal contact. I would check or replace the gasket at the filler tube/tank
      I now have a shop do this job for me. That way I do not have to dispose of the old tank and if the shop messes up or spills gas all over, they deal with it.

Comment

yup...nows the time to replace ANYTHING that even remotely looks questionable...any auto parts store should be able to get you a new locking ring for the tank if its rusted or if you bend it while removing it.....if you get a brand new tank it should come with a new locking ring..(check with you suppiler to make sure it comes with a new locking ring)....i belive delphi made the factory fuel pumps for ford ,if it was me i would buy either a delphi or a motorcraft fuel pump
        Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2012, 08:07 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

OEM pumps are Bosch. I upgraded mine to a higher flow Mustang unit when the tank failed. It was a Summit branded box, but the pump itself is a Walbro for about 15 bucks cheaper than the same pump in a Walbro box. I don't know that more pump is needed even with an HO, but it won't hurt any I don't suppose.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OK, sprung for the new tank. Spectra, on its way for $122 shipped! Can't argue with that. Not going to risk wriggley's house brand made in taiwan ($121 shipped)...
            I was leaning that way already... unless everyone said, "nope, these tanks never leak, wasting your money." I tend to overdo my car repairs.

Do any of the pumps sold for mustangs, match exactly the stock crown vic pump? (in mounting/design/fit, just, higher flowing)?

Good idea on insulating the straps.

"I would replace the fuel hose between pump and hanger, but the wires I wouldn't worry about unless they look damaged."
            Any idea what diameter fuel hose that is? Is it a thick high-pressure rubber, or, a thin nylon that needs to be press-fitted on to barbs with those hateful quick disconnects that I've seen elsewhere in the fuel system?

thanks!
            -Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              OEM pumps are Bosch. I upgraded mine to a higher flow Mustang unit when the tank failed. It was a Summit branded box, but the pump itself is a Walbro for about 15 bucks cheaper than the same pump in a Walbro box. I don't know that more pump is needed even with an HO, but it won't hurt any I don't suppose.
              cool thats good to know (OEM fuel pumps r bosch...i like bosch stuff)

Comment

5/16" high pressure fuel injection hose IIRC. The pump may come with a piece. Just hose clamps, none of that nylon PITA stuff.

Mustang pumps are smaller diameter so you have to get slightly creative with mounting it. Instead of a simple friction fit in the sock like the stocker, you can use a hose clamp to hold it in place. Its really not a big deal to make it fit.

Comment

Sounds good. Might just keep the acdelco stock-fit pump: it did come with a small piece of hose, so that must be all that you're talking about.

Just got my tank in the mail today!
                  I was irritated, that instead of the spectra tank that was sold, I received a dorman made-in-taiwan tank.
                  The dorman tank is painted on the inside, the spectra one advertises that the steel is good enough not to need painting.
                  Should I paint the outside, too, myself? (and if so, wipe it down with solvent, prime it, then paint it, with engine enamel maybe? ...most of my engine that I painted, ended up peeling, so there's something I need to learn about prepping the surface)

And how is dorman vs spectra? Oddly, the dorman is more expensive despite coming from taiwan (vs canada), so I got a "better" deal by that possibly meaningless metric.
                  Should I be very pissed that I got dorman instead of the spectra I ordered? And is spectra better enough to return the dorman and reorder spectra from elsewhere.

Finally, just to be sure, this IS the wagon and not the sedan tank:

Comment

It's listed as being F19 for the wagon... but then, the wrong aftermarket replacement fuel sending units are also listed in all the catalogs, too, so it's not always perfect.

Comment

good call. the tanks may not rust out the further south you get, but every pa, md, ny, nj il tank i have pulled looked real scary

may i ask where you found the sending unit? the boulevard cruiser needs one.......once it hits 1/4 tank low fuel light comes on and it drops to E .......very annoying!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Well, should I paint it, and how? (to stay painted, and not just peel!).

I got it from here: http://nosfordltd.com/company-information/
                        Basically, I kept googling for the ford part # hoping in vain to come across an oem level sending unit, and finally, after like a year and a half, I did.
                        They just happened to get 4 in stock; no guarantees that they have every make and model, like the dollar store, they just resell what odds and ends come their way.

I did buy two for the long haul, but if your boulevard cruiser is a 1990 or 1991 country squire or colony park station wagon, then I can sell you my spare.

Comment

I read somewhere a few years back that the tanks that are painted on the inside are to be avoided. The paint on the inside can come off and clog the fuel line. The last tank I bought (in 2011) for my 83 MGM was a Dorman and it was not painted on the inside. It also had a lifetime warranty. If you want to paint it on the outside, why not undercoat it instead? Just don't undercoat the area around the sending unit so you have a good seal.

Comment

I'll double check closer with a flashlight,but it looks painted... it's dorman.
                            I might install the sending unit, THEN undercoat it?

Comment

bump.
                              This is the wagon model tank?
                              and is Dorman OK or should I order a spectra?

Comment

Working...
                              X