stock spark plug thread size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock spark plug thread size?

I need to hold the valves up with air pressure (To change out the springs without removing the heads).
    The stock spark plugs wouldn't happen to be threaded 14mm x 1.25mm, would they? It's surprisingly tricky to verify with a google search.

14mm dont know the pitch off hand

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

get your hands on a compression tester with the quick disconnect setup that happens to be the same as an air compressor. Remove the schraeder valve at the end of the compression tester bit and you're good to go. Or just take an old spark plug, gut it, and solder some plumbing fittings to it so you can connect an air hose that way.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

alright, here's the update:
        It's 14mm x1.25mm pitch,
        but it's long/deep/whatever,

so the harbor freight set doesn't work on it.
        Advance auto parts has a $38 set that does: it has the deep socket adapter, and, by taking the gauge off the other end and putting in a fitting, was able to connect it directly to the air hose
        Just did my valve springs today, made it quite easy! No head removal necessary.

err, I did come close to winning a darwin award, however... I had it at TDC, and had my 2' long breaker bar with a 15/16" socket hanging off the crankshaft that I used to get it there.
        Pop on the airhose, 100psi, and the crank whips around a couple times before stopping at BDC!!
        Hahahaha.
        Duh, of course, put pressure into that cylinder and it's going to bottom out. But I wasn't thinking about that...

Comment

What kind of valve spring compressor did you use? And did you have fun with cylinder number 8's valve springs? I know I did. Fucking wiper box.

Comment

If its fully at TDC, the crank won't spin around but just a CH either way and it will roll right over.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh! Hah, nah, I took the engine out. Doing all sorts of fun things while it's out of the car. I used the overhead kind, looks kinda like a small puller if you didn't know better-- bought it from sears for $16 made in USA! Advance had made in taiwan for $18! It works fine-- I also like the sliding rod turn handle (rather than the oversized knob that's common on valve spring compressors. This is like a tap holder style handle). However, the sliding rod is not captured, and slides right out.. I might have to put some weld blobs on the end. That's my only small complaint.

gadget, you're talking about boulder-poised-on-a-mountain type precision to keep it balanced like that, perfectly perpendicular to the crank and no torque at all. You know that's not realistic
              Far better to have it bottomed out...

Comment

I'm well aware of that. I did say a CH. Perhaps I should have specified a red one.

Comment

I know.
                  What is a CH? Oh wait... just figured it out. nevermind. acronymfinder.com is my friend.

Comment

Working...
                  X