Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASAP: where to get fuel pump/ tank insert ?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASAP: where to get fuel pump/ tank insert ?!?

For a while I've been planning to drop my tank to take care of some little rust and nonfunctioning sending unit issues.
    While I was at it, I was going to replace the tank, pump, sending unit, all of it.

I've not worked on these tanks (or anything but a couple newer volvos), so I wasn't sure how it was set up.

I only just learned this afternoon when I finally dropped the tank, that the pump is at the bottom, has a short tail of fuel line, then it goes to this spacer/insert that is actually the piece that hooks up to the fuel lines outside of the tank.

From the photos, I thought, that the new pump would come with this spacer/insert/whatever.
    Apparently, in the aftermarket world, they do not!

And apparently --now that my tank is down and I can see it-- my insert is the rustiest my coworker has ever seen in his career, "congratulations!"

So, crap, where can I get one like TOMORROW? Would the dealer have it? I have a 1990 wagon, the pump is independent of the sending unit, but maybe the aftermarket assembly sold for the sedan, includes a new spacer/flange/whatever that will work?
    Or, if I soak this overnight in lime or penetrating oil, maybe, I can get this ring free and try to reuse the old one?

thanks!
    -Bernard

Nevermind: soaked it overnight in lime, then 4 hours in wd-40, and the lock ring came free. whew!

Comment

I wonder if ALL that rust concentrated only around the fuel pump, means it was leaking?
      The rest of the tank, and the sending unit, only had spotty surface rust.

Comment

Usually the fuel pump plate is a low spot, so moisture tends to lay there. If it was leaking, you'd be less likely to have rust since petroleum products don't rust steel.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X