stumble under heavy throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stumble under heavy throttle

Title says it. anywhere above 3000 rpms it starts stumbling til it shifts. 1988 MGM LS 5.0. What do I need to check? Fuel filter?

In what condition are you ignition components?

As for your question about the fuel filter - If you aren't sure of the age of the current filter, it's never a bad idea to change it.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

also check fuel pressure after you change the fuel filter.....if weak,could be failing fuel pump or failing pressure regulator,or just a fuel leak(not getting enough fuel and or pressure at WOT?)....how many miles on car?....when was last tune up?.....

Comment

if the fuel filter hasn't been replaced in a while... do that first.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
          if the fuel filter hasn't been replaced in a while... do that first.
          x2....most definetly

Comment

Well it has about month old plug wires, new dizzy cap and rotor, and fairly new plugs.Haven't changed the fuel filter since I've had it, or when my mom had it. That's why I assume it would probably be the filter. Idk tho sometimes the pump sounds like its whining. Is it normal for the pump to whine.

Comment

Some pumps are noisy (like Carter's - OEM's are usually quiet). Did this noise just start or is it a long term issue?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

It has whined since I bought the car

Comment

but it didn't when my mom had the car in 2010.But it set for a year before I got it.

Comment

Pump may have "varnished up" from sitting. Make sure you have a new filter and if you are getting good fuel pressure I wouldn't get too excited. Can't be too bad if it starts and you can get it to run smooth.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Well it runs good cruising. But under hard pedal it bucks. Its been my DD since I bought i5 from my mom

Comment

You may wish to use "Seafoam". You can run it through the PCV hose. Check online or do a search here for proper instructions. It is really easy and may help. By the way, have you eliminated vacuum leaks as an issue? Do the air and fuel filters in addition to a complete tune up (if not already done).

Comment

Egr?
                          “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

The egr has been disconnected and I changed the air filter on my last oil change .there are no vacuum leaks that I am aware of but I need to get a mounted vacuum gauge.

Comment

well if you have old plug wires that would be a good start,also are the plugs gapped correctly, and how much anti seize did you use on the plugs if any?
                              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                              X