Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

distributor install question

Hey-- this still isn't clear.
    I positioned the engine at O degrees, top dead center, cyl #1 on the compression stroke.

I dropped the distributor in, which ended up with the rotor positioned exactly half a cylinder counter clockwise from cyl #1 (toward 3?)
    I later learned that it should point at cyl #1, at 10 BTDC.
    So in fact, maybe it is right. (1/2 cyl ccw at tdc = spot on at 10 btdc)
    I won't be in a position to check for a while.
    Do you know if this might be the case, in fact?

Or, if it's off, what symptoms would manifest? Would I definitely notice in some detail in performance?

If you can get the timing correct according to the timing light, its fine. You can go a tooth off one way or the other and still adjust for it with no problem. If its bottomed out against some part and still can't be adjusted to the proper point, then you have to try again.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OK. Something was said about some other problem arrising (there's a sensor that picks up off the distributor gear, that will be off...?) But yes, I was able to set timing correctly as it was.

Comment

that pick-up is aligned with the distributor housing (it's inside the dizzy) and being a tooth off won't hurt as long as you can get the timing set right. It should run fine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OK, cool!
          If it were even slightly a problem, I'll try to reset it more exactly. But if the gear is aligned with the housing, and both are matched in timing to the crank, and everything's fine, then I won't mess with it further.

Comment

you just can't hop the plug wires around to make up for a mis-aligned distributor with this system. On a breaker point or Duraspark rig, the #1 position was totally arbitrary. You can make it anywhere you want as long as the wires go in proper order. There is no cylinder ID or anything like that with those systems but the SEFI system needs to know which cylinder is being fired to get the injection sequence correct.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X