Code reader codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code reader codes

These are the codes I got on my code reader. How do I fix them?

41 HEGO sensor circuit indicates system lean (right side)
    61 ECT sensor has intermittently failed below 0.2 volts
    91 No HEGO switching detected always lean (left side).

41 and 91 certainly suggest a failed O2 sensor on... bank 1? I think that's bank 1, which would be the passenger side.
    I think it's gadget who has said he never had a failed O2 sensor throw a code, and he has had more of these cars for more years than I have had so I trust his experience.
    So it's entirely possible that bank 1 is in fact, running lean. This can be vacuum leaks, more likely, or, a clogged injector that's not firing completely, or wiring to an injector such that it does not fire. At least check for the obvious (abraded wires, rodent damage).

It's bad wording, but some of these cars have "low voltage" to mean NO voltage, so in that case, it could even be a wiring issue to the O2 sensor!
    That is to say, low voltage means you might actually be running lean and the sensor is doing its job. No voltage, is a wiring problem first, sensor problem next, and never going to be an actual lean condition.
    "how do I fix them" isn't always so simple, is it?

Hmm... I lengthened my leads, but I remember the wires on the stock exhaust are tricky to get your hands on, otherwise I'd suggest monitoring the voltage. It'll be a good half hour's work to make a lead that'll plug into the O2 sensor so you can watch it's voltage. Or you can opt just to replace it (throwing parts at it), but the sensor is only $30 so it's not murderous. Getting it out of the stock exhaust bung hole is more murderous.

For the ECT sensor it'll be a little easier/ more straightforward. You can throw a $10 sensor at it to make you confident in the sensor itself, if the code returns, it's wiring. You can of course monitor the resistance value of the sensor as th eengine warms up, and make sure it's in range, and if it is, it is wiring.

Finally, on these cars, unplugging the battery for at least 10 min (or then touching the negative terminal to the positive to drain all little micro capacitors in the computer, thus erasing all of the memory), erases/ resets codes.
    It may just be that they're ancient. Erase the codes, see what comes back?

Comment

So Why does code 91 say left side and code 41 say right side?

Comment

Fix the code 61 first, and then retest. 41 is the drivers side 'right side' when looking into the engine bay. 91 is passenger side which is the 'left side'. Bank 1 is on the passenger side and holds cylinders 1-4. Bank 2 on driver side holds 5-8.

Comment

Where is the ect sensor located on a 1990 grand marquis?

Comment

engine coolant temp sensor... it's on the pipe up from the thermostat (upper radiator hose on engine) housing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

FYI, coolant temp sensors tend to sit as high in the cooling system as is possible. A good starting point.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I just did another test with my code reader today and code 61 is not showing up after two test but 91 and 41 are still there

Comment

Working...
                X