Time for Timing Chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for Timing Chain

My CFI 85 Vic has about 120k miles on it, and from what I've read, the stock timing chains are only usually good till about 100k

The car has been idling rough and hard to start for a bit, and lately the idle has gotten rougher.

I'm not 100% its the timing chain, but I'm sure it cant hurt to get a fresh one.

To anyone who has swapped the timing chain before, which chain set should i get?

Also, I have never done this before, so any help as to what problems to expect would be great

THANKS!!
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Stock replacement double roller chain should be fine. I've had good luck with the Cloyes chains in the past. While you're in there, replace the water pump, the crank seal, and give consideration to swapping the balancer if its original. Often the rubber will be cracking and starting to push out at this point, and since you have to remove it anyway it doesn't make a lot of sense to re-install a bad one. Ditto the water pump. Biggest problem is the water pump bolts possibly breaking. Not a whole lot you can do about that but hope for the best. It would be a good idea to get a new bolt set if you can. Also, and this sounds obvious, but be absolutely sure you have all of the bolts out of the timing cover before trying to pull it off. There are some across the top that come in from the back, and a couple on the face that are sort of in a crevice that can be missed. I've seen more than one busted cover because someone tried to pry it off without getting a bolt out.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alright thanks

I was looking on rockauto and I noticed the double roller cloyes chains they have say for the high output engines. I would guess I could still use those with no issues?

Also kinda unrelated but where could I find a brass throttle rod bushing?
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Sure. Same engine for all intents and purposes, other than the camshaft profile and the head casting. Same timing set is compatible with both engines though.

The brass TV bushing is/was a Ford dealer thing if you can still get one. Part number I have for it is F3SZ-7H303-B.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you sir, as always you have helped a lot

Comment

Now would be a good time for a more aggressive cam, some E7 heads and a nice intake/carb combo

Good luck,
            Don
            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Well over winter I'm planning on trying an SEFI conversion. And while I'm doing that I may try to get some HO parts.

Just trying to get it running decent for now until I can save up some cash over winter

Comment

Unless that's a roller compatible block, HO stuff isn't gonna work with that engine.

Comment

If not, HO wouldn't be the top priority

I'd like to get SEFI working on it and if I cant figure that swap out I'll go with a carb

Comment

85 motor may or may not be roller compatible. Its a crapshoot.

Comment

The only HO part that wouldn't be compatible is the cam...you can get a good cam/lifter kit for around $200 and crane 1.7rr's from Summit for like $214, they're advertised at like $240 but because mustangs unlimited sells'em cheaper, they'll beat their price in the name of customer satisfaction. Add in matching springs, installed at the proper height and you're all set.
                      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

I did this last fall. It's this thread:

I used a Cloyes C3057X, about $45 del'd from Rock. Seemed good, but what do I know?

The car definately ran better after the change.

Good luck.

Pete
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Yep that's the one I ordered I believe. Sucks though cuz my gaskets were at a different warehouse so I paid 2 shipping prices! Oh well still cheaper than autozone.

I also got a TPS for the car because mine has a bad spot. Anyone have any experience swapping that out?

Comment

Working...
                          X