Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new guy here - need help on engine swap - what can I drop into my '84 colony park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new guy here - need help on engine swap - what can I drop into my '84 colony park?

Hi everyone - I just joined up here and am hoping for some guidance. I have a 1984 Mercury Colony Park and the engine is toast. I'd like to swap out the engine, but keep it stock with another 302 5.0 with EEC-IV. Basically, I don't want to do any modifications or anything other than simply pull out the old one and put in a new one. But since my odds of finding a 1984 engine probably aren't so good, I was wondering what other Ford/Mercury 302 engines would be a direct replacement. I know someone who has a 1988 Colony Park engine, but is that a direct fit for my 1984? Is there any chart or database that could tell me what engines would be a direct fit for my car? Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks, Sonny

the basic engine is the same...but the intake/fuel injection parts are WAY different....basically,pull off all the externals from your dead motor(intake manifold,including everything attached to it,and use it to replce the one on the 1988 motor,you may need to use the 88 distributor,not sure about that,hopefully someone will chime in on that part)also,anything else that is "different looking".....but the bare engine is the same for all practical purposes(i belive they went to a "roller" camshaft on the 1988,but it wont make any difference as frar as how it runs or anything)

Comment

Where are you? If you live in California, they may get stupid about things.

Elsewise, yes you can fit the 88 motor. I'd be extremely inclined to use the 88's EFI system though, since its way more better. Adapting it isn't terribly hard. There is even a guide on here somewhere for how to convert a CFI car to SEFI. If you can't get the EFI stuff, you'll need to use the 84 intake, and the 88 distributor. Other than that, it will all just bolt up.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

you can use a 86-91 panther 302 but you will have to swap intake manifolds

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

a 302 is a 302 is a 302, the advantage of using a 87 and up 302 is that is had a roller motor instead of a flat tappet.youll need the proper gear for the roller cam.
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

What they said...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
              a 302 is a 302 is a 302,
              Not entirely. 82 and older motors use a different imbalance. Mostly where this is a problem is the flywheel or flexplate and balancer are different. They interchange as long as you get the right parts for the motor. That and the whole roller cam / flat cam thing but thats just a distributor gear swap.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X