Fiberglass insulation attached underHood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiberglass insulation attached underHood

MY 91 CROWNVICTORIA HAS THIS INSULATION COATING UNDER THE HOOD IT'S LIKE FIBERGLASS AND IT'S IN BAD SHAPE TORN IN SPOT'S AND MISSING A LOT.MY QUESTION IS THIS IS IT REALLY NESSASARY OR COULD I JUST REMOVE ALL OF IT AND RUN WITH NONE AT ALL.WHAT DO YOU GUY'S THINK? GIVE ME YOUR

Remove it.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

throw it out. you can replace if you want but its not that critical. I'd rather do without it than have crumbly grease-soaked padding under there.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There is a guy on EBAY selling them for about $50 if you wish one. Dave and I got them and they are REALLY nice. I can get the info if you wish to purchase one....Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Rip that garbage out

Comment

You will be fine without it in place. I had my car repainted and I removed the underhood insulation and this had no ill effects to the fresh paint. But like bobby mentioned that there are suitable replacements made available via the aftermarket.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thank's to all who replyed to this thread as i hold your advice invalueble,seriously thanks I took that stuff off as soon as i read the info.You are all the best!!!!!!!

Comment

This is my first post on the form. I hope that I don't mess it up.
                -
                I also have a 1966 Cadillac Sedan Deville
                The fiberglass was always making a big mess.
                -
                What is really cool is I replaced with piece of pre-cut foam.
                They make a foam that has a layer of aluminum foil on both sides of it just for this purpose.
                It is about an inch thick.
                If I found one for a 66 Cadillac, you can find one for a Mercury on the Internet also.
                The attachment holes were all pre-punched in the 100% perfect locations.
                You can push special clips through the holes.
                Those clips may currently holding up your fiberglass
                You can alternatively use a spray adhesive.
                -
                The foam comes packed but when you open it it springs out to full size.
                It is from that point on surprisingly ridged.
                -
                More about clips an stuff when you get there.
                Not Expensive.
                RJ
                Last edited by R_J; 09-13-2012, 02:22 PM.
                2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium
                $600 Handling Package (discontinued after 2007) includes:
                dual exhausts for 239 hp.(vs 224hp. std), handling suspension, rear load-leveling suspension. 225/60TR16 tires, unique alloy wheels.
                $900 Premium Plus Audio Pkg: Upgraded sound system, 6-disc CD changer. [I have yet to use that expensive CD changer just once (LOL)]
                ###
                1966 Cadillac Sedan de Ville 4Dr Hdtop, 429 Engine. [Form: 1965-1966 Cadillac Group]
                1967 Chrysler Newport 2Dr Hdtop Fastback, 383 Engine [Form: C-Body DryDock]

Comment

the under hood factory isulation is real susposed to melt incase of a fire and sufficate it
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                    the under hood factory isulation is real susposed to melt incase of a fire and sufficate it
                    This

Comment

but with years of crap built up in the layers of it... it tends to just add fuel to the fire.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        but with years of crap built up in the layers of it... it tends to just add fuel to the fire.
                        As to why they should be ripped out LOL

Comment

I always liked the guys cars I worked on with carbs were the insulation was comming appart and they had removed the air cleaner and the engine was obviously sucking it into the carb.
                          As for engine fires most I have dealt with required letting it burn or a fire extingisher. Some lesser fires not so bad stopped with a rag or such.
                          Under hood mat I usally remove them from my cars.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                          X