a stupid question about our iginition coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a stupid question about our iginition coils

I realize some may have been different but when I say "our" ignition coils I mean SEFI Panthers.

What's the big rectangular bit that surrounds the coil itself? I am considering mounting my ignition coil remotely (save on front-engine space) and am wondering what to do with it..

I took the coil off of the bracket, but more of the plastic that had been covering that rectangular bit I asked about originally is fubar. The metal underneath is pretty rusty too but has been cleaning up with a light dremel wire wheel...I don't know if I can or should paint it to match the coil body because I don't know exactly what function it performs. I'd be happy covering it with a similar plastic cover but it will only rust underneath again.
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 09-19-2012, 01:42 AM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

if you mean the part that the screws go through... that's the iron core for the coil. There's bars that come off of that and go inside the coil body at the top and bottom to provide the needed properties for the coil to work right (flux field electrics... lots of electrical theory in this that I don't even know or care about... that's just how it works). You can paint it or not, no big deal. If you really want it to last longer, ditch the plastic cover and paint it with some engine enamel or some high heat paint once you get the rust off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yep, its the transformer core. Suffice to say it needs to be there, but it doesn't matter at all if its painted or not. Don't try and cut it away though. One thing of note is that if the iron is in bad shape, the coil will not be as efficient, especially at low rpm. There are a lot of theoretical reasons for this but the coil was designed to work with a specific amount of iron in it. If too much of the iron goes away, the coil will have too much loss and you'll lose spark power. Granted this is probably when you're getting to the point where there is very little of the core left at all, but it is there.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks boys. It is now as purple as the day is long.

Now.....where to put it? Fuck that big ugly bracket. I don't think my frpp coil wire will reach much else though.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
        X