Getting Started on the 89 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Started on the 89 Town Car

Hey everyone. For those that didnt see my post in the Newbie section, Im Bob and the kid thats working with me on this is Marha. Its time for her to get her license and Im finally in a spot to build something. Ok, Im really not "in" the spot, but like having kids, its never the right time. So for now, Im going to start schooling myself off this web page and buying stuff. On the weekends, I'll give it my best shot at installing and Monday morning post a new thread beggin for help! I went through a divorce last year and went from a new dually and GTO to an 89 Towncar. I purchased it for $1000 with 63,000 miles. The paint was shot, but the body was in great shape, the interior near mint and the engine ran like new. I put an factory single exhaust back on it and some used tires and it has got me through till life straightened back out. Being that it is safe and cheap to work on, I figured its the perfect car for her first and can make a neat rod with some vision. Here is the car we started with. Interior was a mess, but no damage at all.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04692.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	1299134Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04696.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1299135Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04703.jpg
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1299136Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04698.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1299137

We've passed it back and forth now since the beginning of the year on what direction we wanted to go with it. The original concept was bare metal and clear coat until we found that the front and back facias were composite.

Name:	2012-08-27 07.17.39.jpg
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	1299138

In the end we have decided to go with the hotrod black. No trim, no emblems and no door handles. The small side windows, opera lights, side marker lights and door handles are all getting welded up (just to be different). I'd like the front dropped a tad. Dual exhaust (which we considered nascar style, but most likely out the back). And a set of something like the new Black Streeter wheels. Gloss black in the center, polished lip. They have that old style craiger look, but more modern. Have also considered the old chrysler snowflakes (with the greay powdercoated gloss black) to keep it more on the original end too. Havent decided what we are doing with the shiney that has to stay like around the windows, the grill and the bumpers. Could stay, could go gloss black or ? We're going to a body shop in 2 weeks where I have rented a bay. Have done a bunch of mechanical work, no body. In the last couple of weeks we have stripped it down to bare metal and rattle canned it back to get the idea. Heres the basic look.

Name:	2012-09-16 11.50.46.jpg
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	1299139Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel-0543_lrg.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1299140Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16RHJGIE9nnWq)VWBQIGT5co4g~~60_12.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1299141

We're open for ideas on any of it and would love to hear from you with more experience. I looked for tech stuff to do since its basically a stang motor and I could never find anything. Since finding GMN yesterday, my eyes are wide open! I really want to do the disc rear and big brake front, both cruiser sway bars and shocks immediately. Safety and so the car stops wallerin' around corners. It looks as though there is more front suspension off the 98-02 that will work, but Im not sure of the benefit. True duals would be second. Being that we're doing a budget build, I dont know if the "lincoln logs" are enough or if its worth it just to go with the stang headers. Thinking Flowmaster 40s, but open again. I would then like to do the 5.0HO conversion. Figured if anyone has parts, I'd be more than glad to hear. Im going to start setting them aside and while its all torn apart this winter for body work...

Thanks for spending the time to read the story. Cant wait to start hearing from everyone. We'll keep pics coming during the whole thing. Thrilled to be here! Bob & Marha
    Last edited by split1atom; 09-20-2012, 01:36 PM.
    sigpic 1989 Lincoln Towncar, All Stock.....Today

Wheels: Have you looked at "turbine" style wheels? They came on these cars and look quite nice painted black. There are a few different combinations of bare and painted surfaces you can do on them, too.

Exhaust: IMO you should do at least stock mustang headers. The lincoln logs are of negligable benefit to horsepower (just a weight reduction, really) but even the stock mustang headers will net you noticeable power. Since you seem to have a decent handle (or at least willingness to learn) on fabrication, cobbling together some sort of larger diameter than stock (2.25 or 2.5 inch probably) exhaust system is probably worth doing on this car. They're so darned slow stock that IMO you really have to do some serious stuff horsepower wise before any visually hotrodded one lives up to it's appearance. You could double the horsepower and still have a car that'd barely keep up with a new Camry, so it's not like you'll be handing your daughter a car that'll get her in too much trouble.

Since you're doing blacked out, hotrodded, and a daily driver, have you considered some sort of lip below the front bumper, like a 70s trans am or similar? They can look cool and provide noticeable highway mileage and stability gains. I know mileage is probably not a big concern in this case, but if it's going to be driven regularly by someone on a student's budget... might as well improve aero in subtle ways where you can, right?

What are you going to do with the mirrors? The stock ones are hardly in keeping with a murdered out madmax sled sort of look.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

very nice project you have going on, here is a pic of what mine used to look like. im currently working on another one.Click image for larger version

Name:	564214_434002283278585_401343555_n.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1270005 as far as upgrades, i can help with that, i am very well connected in the automotive world,and I also have a lot of freinds with mustangs as well as i am a member on most of the mustang boards from ny to cincy. your best bet is to build a motor first,and then do the swap. my last ride,had police valving shocks,and limo springs and k code 3.55 rear also from a limo, BBK shorty headers, mandrel bent 2.5 inch exhuast ending a foot before the rear axle. no need to lower it, but it you want thats up to you these cars are extremely stable, and in the configureation i had mine in I would say it handled very much like a cobra, not too shabby from some junkyard parts and stock style suspension. also for reference those are US modualr rims, 5x7 and 5x8 respectivly cragar makes a set that is basically the same thing but cheaper.
      Last edited by zoomie; 09-20-2012, 04:20 PM.
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

John, thanks for the input. I havent seen the turbine wheels but will look. I agree with the engine mods and from what I've read here, Stang headers definitely sound like the way to go. The size exhaust concerns me because I hear so many discussing the right size to keep it running best. Im doing the 5.0 HO for sure, so I'll have to figure out which is best. And youre right, if I gave her even 250 horse in a car that size, it would just be a decent driving car, so no big worries there. The big block doesnt come till she goes away to college and daddy can do as he pleases! Ive not thought about a spoiler. Anyone on this site have one? For the mirrors, I know that they dont match, but we like the thermometer and she needs something. Right now, the only thought has been maybe painting the SS and Chrome in gloss black. Open for ideas.

Zoomie, Darn near twins! Is the new one going the same direction? I'd like to build a motor and swap, but its part finances and a bigger part, that even though Im changing the body, I hate to lose the original power plant. Maybe from my days of 60's muscle, but I hate to make things non number matching! I'm definitely wanting the PI sway bars and shocks. As for the springs, I dont know what to get. I did however read a sticky on here last night that had Moog? springs for the front. Gave a 1" drop and 925lb ratings. Real interest....I think. They were only $48 new. I was sorta shocked.

Everyone else, someone in the Newbie forum welcomed me on board and mentioned leaving the front white or silver. You cant see it real well in the photo, but being that the hood was aluminum, we were considering leaving it as is and just clear coating. I sanded it down with 80 grit paper and a DA. The cuts in the metal sparkled EVERYWHERE, but wasnt bothersome while driving. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by split1atom View Post
          John, thanks for the input. I havent seen the turbine wheels but will look. I agree with the engine mods and from what I've read here, Stang headers definitely sound like the way to go. The size exhaust concerns me because I hear so many discussing the right size to keep it running best. Im doing the 5.0 HO for sure, so I'll have to figure out which is best. And youre right, if I gave her even 250 horse in a car that size, it would just be a decent driving car, so no big worries there. The big block doesnt come till she goes away to college and daddy can do as he pleases! Ive not thought about a spoiler. Anyone on this site have one? For the mirrors, I know that they dont match, but we like the thermometer and she needs something. Right now, the only thought has been maybe painting the SS and Chrome in gloss black. Open for ideas.

Zoomie, Darn near twins! Is the new one going the same direction? I'd like to build a motor and swap, but its part finances and a bigger part, that even though Im changing the body, I hate to lose the original power plant. Maybe from my days of 60's muscle, but I hate to make things non number matching! I'm definitely wanting the PI sway bars and shocks. As for the springs, I dont know what to get. I did however read a sticky on here last night that had Moog? springs for the front. Gave a 1" drop and 925lb ratings. Real interest....I think. They were only $48 new. I was sorta shocked.

Everyone else, someone in the Newbie forum welcomed me on board and mentioned leaving the front white or silver. You cant see it real well in the photo, but being that the hood was aluminum, we were considering leaving it as is and just clear coating. I sanded it down with 80 grit paper and a DA. The cuts in the metal sparkled EVERYWHERE, but wasnt bothersome while driving. Thoughts?
          An Ho swap isnt too hard to do,although if you want forged pistons and a better compression ratio an actual HO motor is the way to go. yes my new one wil be going in the same direction, but with more oopmf. pretty much as far as numbers go ,all that matters is a 302 is a 302, for the most part, yes they have a diff numbers on them, but i have pulled motors both from a lincoln and a mark vii and both had XXX castings both were also same year, the only difference was the forged pistons and crank balance between the lopo and HO motor toher than that block was the same. As for pipe size, i had true duals with 2.5 which is probably the highest youll want to goto unless your going back down to a single pipe. my headers are 1 5/8ths they fit and work awsome!

Comment

Zoom, in that case finding headers sways & shocks sound like the first order. As for your slick top, it looks like you used the rear plastic. How did you bond it in. I've got a body guy that believes we can chemically bond and then glass it in.

Comment

Zoom, in that case finding headers sways & shocks sound like the first order. As for your slick top, it looks like you used the rear plastic. How did you bond it in. I've got a body guy that believes we can chemically bond and then glass it in.
              the headers and swaybars arnt an issue i know where they are the shocks you always buy new. as far as the rear, which part of the rear plastic? let me find my cars page its documented from the very begining,technically i have two pages. ill dig them up and post them for you. here is the main one
              Last edited by zoomie; 09-21-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

RE rear suspension: Does it have coil-springs or air-springs?
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

They are coil.

Comment

Boxes never came with air suspension. Some did have auto-level air shocks but they all had coils.

all that nonsense under the top is why I have a new vinyl top. All those ugly body lines under the trim is why I have trim. I'm no good with body work and it would have been more expensive to try and make ugly lines not ugly than just put it back how it was supposed to be. Honestly I think these look strange with no trim. I don't care for the base model Vics either. Too utilarian looking. On the other hand, I have a Mark VII with the factory blackout package because I think chrome on those looks funky. I think a blacked out 90s Towncar would look good, but not a box.
                    Last edited by gadget73; 09-22-2012, 10:29 PM.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

blacked out box TC for the grim reaper... or so goes the story.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

All that nonsense under the roof and ugly body lines are why we're doing it! I can't find a custom box TC anywhere online (minus the black 406 in Maryland). Of course that's what makes the car game great, to each their own, but we're all still in the same game!

Comment

All that nonsense under the roof and ugly body lines are why we're doing it! I can't find a custom box TC anywhere online (minus the black 406 in Maryland). Of course that's what makes the car game great, to each their own, but we're all still in the same game!
                          thain and scott are pureists,lol they didnt care for my no ac,slicktop idea..... but what the eh lol , for customization , i found a body kit for both a bently and a rolls royce for the towncar, i drew up a design utlizing both designs, i hope to make it a reality one day. the weird bodylines can be taken care of,and if you do it right the rear will very much resemble the old lincoln with the suicide doors,speaking of which i have a buddy who does suicide door conversions for boxes.

Comment

Funny that you mention that. I had really considered the suicide door thing. Took the kid out yesteday for another driving lesson around the 275 loop. When we got home, there were several visitors at the house and the driveway was full. I told her just to park out front in the street. OUR NEIGHBOR BACKED OUT AND RIGHT INTO THE SIDE OF IT!!!! Said she didnt see it. The only thought that went through my head is that she should turn in her license when you cant see a TC! It sucks to see the back driver door all mangled up, especially after we put so much work in trying to make the car look decent the last few weeks. Good news is that both the driver doors needed a lot of work and now she will be paying for it.

Im normally the purist too, but there is just a time that you have to compare the value to what youre putting in and this one just doesnt work out. Boxes just dont bring much money normally, no matter what condition. That and a 15 year old girl just wasnt going to see Grandpas car as anything but without some major changes. Zoomie, we may just end up being a 2 man convention!

Comment

Evening! Been forever since I was on and chatted with anyone. I think shortly after telling everyone in this post that the neighbor backed into the car, I havent said much else. Well, we used the insurance money for good measures. We bought PI front and rear sway bars from a member here on the page. We got the 2001 PI shocks for all the corners. Then ordered up the one inch drop springs from Speedway, 900lb up front and 400? in the back. With this and the polyurethane bushing kits you guys suggested, it handles like Vette! The car that use to damn near roll over through corners, now goes through like a table top. Next step was finding some wheels to match the old school look and stance. I found a guy in NY selling a set of 70's Chrysler police wheels. He had the backs cut and rewelded to make 10" rims with 275's. The front are stock 7". Had to do some major cutting on the wheel wells to make them fit, but hey, they look good. Well, the big news is we finally got some time to start working on the body. This week we were able to get the small opera windos glassed in, front and back side markers welled in and all of the trim holes welled up and smoothed out. Body work is just roughed in and needs a final smoothing, but I was wondering what everyone thought. We are headed to Gatlinburg in early Sept for the big show. By then I am planning on having the rest of it in black so it all matches. The next step will be to glass in the rear window trim and the opera lights on the side. Some other things that I am going to be looking for are:

Driver back door
                              Front and rear bumper
                              Back Driver Turn signal

Be nice, Im fragile!

Name:	2012-09-25 22.06.00.jpg
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	1272773Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-03 07.54.55.jpg
Size:	191.3 KB