Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 lincoln Towncar Idle issue

Well,

.....it speeds up while idling (kinda lurches forward a tad) then cuts off.

I replaceed the Idle Air Control Valve....still does it
    After it cuts off, My battery light and oil light illuminate.

Could it be a bad fuel pump?

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

How are the vacuum lines and fuel filter ?

Comment

No leaks in vacum....fuel filter is in tight

Comment

if the fuel filter has never been changed... that might need to be changed.

if any vacuum line is flaky or cracked, it could be leaking.

if all of that really is fine... check the connector on the ignition module on the distributor. I've had issues with it slipping off of mine (88 Grand Marquis).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Solid connection there....Because I give it gas to prevent it from stalling out...
          ....could it be my fuel pump or sending unit?

Or could it be my battery?

Comment

Have you checked the fuel pressure? And it a constant or intermediate problem?

Comment

hmm... has the throttle body been cleaned? There may be a crap ton of carbon build up behind the butterfly. Carb/Throttle body cleaner (follow the directions on the side of the can) for the win. Also, if you do go this way, spray in the large holes for the IAC.

if you need to clean it... park on a slope with the driver side on the lower part (doesn't need to be extreme... just a little lean will do) and keep a rag handy to catch the back flow of dirt as it comes out. This will help reduce the amount of cranking time needed to pass the stuff out before it'll fire again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                Well,

.....it speeds up while idling (kinda lurches forward a tad) then cuts off.

I replaceed the Idle Air Control Valve....still does it
                After it cuts off, My battery light and oil light illuminate.

Could it be a bad fuel pump?
                Clean your throttle body. Have you scanned it for codes?

Comment

Some of these TB's have a "special coating" that will be removed with carb cleaner. Never had a personal problem but have read about it. They do make a special spray for those instances. Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

@ hotrodtc Intermediate problem, bro

Comment

If you haven't changed the fuel filter I would look into it. The filter may look fine but there's no telling what type of crud that may be built up in it. My mark had a similar problem on any type of incline or hard acceleration when I got it changing the filter resolved it for me. And I x2 cleaning the throttle throttle body.

Comment

sounds an awful lot like its time for new vacuum lines and a tuneup to me.

My Mark VII actually started doing this to me this morning. I'm betting its the fuel filter. Its some 3 years since I changed it, and I'm noticing it pings a bit under load now, and it never used to do that.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X