Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tune up - uh, should rotor ends look THAT different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tune up - uh, should rotor ends look THAT different?

All,

Finally did my tune up - and yep, it looks like it was overdue. End of the rotor was crusty, the electrodes of the distributor cap on the inside definitely had that blasted look to them, and the spark plugs (Champions, of all things) were gapped anywhere from .040 to .050 (mostly .045), and have that light blistering thing and a grayish look to some of them. Yeah, I've driven the car 30k miles, and I don't know how long before I got it that the previous owner did the tune up.

However, I have a question about the rotor. The new one looks a LOT different than the old one. Or rather, the metal end of it, does. The new one is much narrower across, and much thinner. Thinner I guess isn't a problem, but I was just surprised at how different in size the metal end was. See the attached pic - the bigger, wider-ended one is the old one (on the left in the pic). Does it make a difference with modern distributors?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rotors old vs new.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1299181
    I got the Autozone's gold cap and rotor kit (5 year warranty).

I've only gotten to drive the car a block or so, under 30 MPH, and it FEELS normal, but I was concerned.

Sorry for the blurriness, couldn't get the camera to focus on the ends property.

Also included are pics of the old spark plugs . . . just because (first one of plugs are plugs 1-4 from top to bottom, second is of 5-8 from top to bottom. Crusty, but not as atrocious as I'd imagined)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	1299182Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	1299183
    1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
    Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
    Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
    Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

looks like the new rotor has the tip broken off. I'd take it back.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It looks off. Measure the distance from the tip to the shaft hole. See if it is the same.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yeah mang thats not how they should loook(rotor)
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Went to the store and got another one, and yep, the one I had was missing the tip attachment. Swapped in a new one, and just gotta return the defective ones.

Should've figured something was wrong when I saw that, rather than assuming it was some sort of newfangled design... All's well, though, took the car driving with the new parts, over 100 miles today without a hitch.
          1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
          Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
          Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
          Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

Working...
          X