Egr valve bench test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egr valve bench test

OK I'm on my third new EGR valve, when i get each one i hook my vacuum pump up to it to see if the diaphragm is in good condition, so far none of them have enabled me to build up vacuum. Am i being a complete idiot and it needs to be bolted to a running engine in order to work? Or have a received 3 separately defective parts?
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

you've gotten 3 defective ones ... or your vacuum pump is defective.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

vacuum pump is definitely good, checked it a dozen times now, couldn't the EGR be different for the 351? they are also two different brands.
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Last time I checked, the EGR can be tested, via the vac port.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

is the position sensor installed? The sensor is required for it to seal. There is an O ring on the sensor that needs to be in good shape too.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No sensor involved in this EGR. The VV didn't come with one, strictly ported vacuum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	getimage.php.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1270462
            Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 01-07-2013, 10:38 PM.
            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

then yes... all are fubar.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

ah, that kind. yeah, fubar. Theres just nothing in there but a rubber diaphragm. It either holds vacuum or it doesn't. Could just be its so damn old the rubber dry rotted and cracked.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can you test them in the store?? Might save some grief and if they refuse go elsewhere!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

OK some important information for those who are interested.

For those with 351 cars. You cannot bench test the EGR valve with a vacuum pump. It MUST be on the car and the inlet exposed to a vacuum source, the inlet has small openings in it. This closes another internal valve and allows the main diaphragm to seal and allow ported vacuum to actuate the main valve. Found this out the hard way...I have a working EGR now.
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

interesting. overly complicated.

Comment

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I had to confirm Phil's observation. The instructions with the EGR valve I ordered for my '79 / 400 motor said you cannot bench test it. It does not hold a vacuum until bolted to the spacer plate. Dumb dumb dumb.

Comment

At least they were kind enough to include that little factoid in with the egr, unlike any of mine! Thank you for the confirmation
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

How would a car run if you leave the electrical connection and pull the vacuum line on the EGR? Perhaps a way to test the EVR? Would you have to plug the line? Curious....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

you'd have to hook a vacuum gauge up to test the EVR. Basically watch and see what it does. Car would run fine with no vacuum on the valve on an EFI car. It would just see that the EGR valve did not open and the fuel mix and timing would be adjusted accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                              X