No announcement yet.

Egr valve bench test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted to know about this for a 1987 Merc Topaz (CFI). Would the line need to be capped if it runs better or leave it open?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

leave it connected where its supposed to go. If you're doing away with the EGR, it needs to have the line plugged but there really isn't any reason to do that. When its working properly, it gives you a smidge of fuel economy and reduces emissions. Its closed at idle and under heavy acceleration so there isn't any loss of power in a practical sense. If its acting up, often a snort of WD40 in the EVR will make it stop acting up. Mine wasn't regulating, and was just going to 100% open just off-idle and staying that way. The car hesitated badly off idle and generally ran like crap under about 60 mph. Plugging the vacuum line made it run fine, but fixing the EVR also made it run fine.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just have a bad idle but runs fine after that so wanted to know if I should cap the vacuum line from the EVR to the EGR or just disconnect it and see if that makes a difference. The line from the EVR braches off - one line to the EGR and another to what looks like a small cylinder looking canister (never seen that before). Does leaving the line uncapped create a leak or does it not matter?? Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

It won't create a leak at idle, so that is probably not your issue...but when you begin to apply throttle it will. You may not notice anything at all, however usually best to cap it.
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Guess I'll pull it off just to see if the idle gets better. If it does I can cap it and see what that does.

Comment

If its got idle problems, the valve could be jammed a bit by a nugget of crud. The line should have no vacuum at idle and pulling the line should not change anything. If it does, the EVR is wonky. If its slightly stuck open though, you ought to get a code for EVP above closed position. I think its 34 but without looking it up I won't swear to that.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It is an OBD 1 system and it did not produce a code. When you say clogged do you mean the EVR or EGR? WD 40 down the EVR?? I tried carb cleaner down the EVR but it didn't change the poor idle. Don't know of any way to clean out the EGR but open to suggestions...

Comment

Working...
                X