Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I switch back to 10w30 for winter months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I switch back to 10w30 for winter months?

My 90GM with 75k came with 10w30 when I purchased it last March. When I did the oil change I put in 10w40 and have used that ever since.

Now that winter is coming up should I go back to the 10w30? I would think I don't have to since they are both 10w, only the operating temp # went up, so I would think the 40 weight would be better?

The car runs great, quiet and gets good gas mileage with the 10w40. I just want confirmation that it's cool to use that when the temps here can get to 0 degrees or below in the winter months here in NY.

i would stick with 10w30 in the winter and 10w40 in the summer........super thin oil wont do the oil pressure any good in an older engine

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I just changed my oil last weekend, used the synthetic 5W30 by Mobil 1 that she's been running on for the last half year (mostly freeway miles) - is it too thin for the winter? Here in Michign it gets pretty darn cold (last time there was a whole week of -18C) and I run a flex fan, but I usually do give the engine a 5-10 minute warmup at idle before I take off.

Comment

mmm Winterpeg MB, Canada

Comment

Slight thread-jack...... what about using the Lucas Oil Treatment in the winter? Will it thicken it up too much.? It can get pretty derned cold here in Indy.

Comment

i use 20w50 year round in ny

Comment

i run lucas and 10w40 year round in my dads sundance.........starts every time no matter how cold it is

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

10W40 won't hurt anything probably, but if you hear it tapping for a few seconds when it fires up in the morning when cold, try switching to 10w30. My truck really likes it's thin oil, and will tick and tap annoyingly unless I feed it 5w30.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

5W30 is what the norm is around here... which is why I was wonderingbout the lucas. Hell Ill use lucas and 530. maybe give castrol gtx a go, too.

Comment

For some reason I forgot, which one is the thinner one, 10-W30 or 10-W40? I run Cenex Auto Gold 10-W30 year round. Going to add a bottle of Lucas on the next change to quiet her down a bit.

Comment

in my camaro i run 5w30 in the summer and in te cold i add a synthetic bottle of 0w30 to thin it up even more.

ill do the same to my towncar after the engine is in and broke in

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm gonna go back to 10w30 for the winter months.

Comment

I just put 10W 30 in my Vic today.

Comment

I run synthetic oil in the cars I drive in the winter. If you ever change your oil on a winter day when it it below freezing, you can definitely tell the difference between synthetic oil and regular oil. The synthetic oil still pours like water whereas the dino oil pours like molasses. I figure the oil pump has to work much less to circulate that synthetic oil on a cold day than it would with dino oil.

Tom

Comment

True, untill you have been running for 3 minutes. By them the oil is well above room temp, and at it's normal opperating viscosity.

Comment

Working...
                              X