'91 with a drinking problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 with a drinking problem

She stays out late at night. Comes home smelling like used oil. I think she's been sleeping with some bad Dodges. I'm worried about her.

This car baffles me. Runs fine.

Drinks antifreeze, no puddles on the floor or white in the oil. Drops about 4 inches every 2-3 weeks.

Drinks oil, no puddles on the floor. I had to add over two quarts today. One of those quarts was my bottle of Lucas Oil Treatment. Trying that to see if it helps. Takes about a quart every 700-1000 miles.

Once a month, it will spill most of its power steering fluid on the garage floor. No pattern to it. Nothing different in driving routine or temperatures. It just dumps the fluid. Mechanic can't even see a leak.

I'm open to any ideas for all of those problems.

I know what the power steering fluid is caused be. Pisses me off too. If you turn the wheel with the engine off it will burst out of the cap.

Comment

Pressure test the cooling system. Sounds like a pinhole leak somewhere. As for the oil loss, how long has it been since you put a new PCV valve/screen/grommet in? It might be stuck and sucking oil right out of the crankcase. I'd also degrease the engine really well and see if it shows leaks anywhere. The back of the intake manifold is a common leak spot. You might also simply be burning it if the motor is old and beat.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Re: '91 with a drinking problem

Originally posted by monterey1962
        She stays out late at night. Comes home smelling like used oil. I think she's been sleeping with some bad Dodges. I'm worried about her.

This car baffles me. Runs fine.

Drinks antifreeze, no puddles on the floor or white in the oil. Drops about 4 inches every 2-3 weeks.

Drinks oil, no puddles on the floor. I had to add over two quarts today. One of those quarts was my bottle of Lucas Oil Treatment. Trying that to see if it helps. Takes about a quart every 700-1000 miles.

Once a month, it will spill most of its power steering fluid on the garage floor. No pattern to it. Nothing different in driving routine or temperatures. It just dumps the fluid. Mechanic can't even see a leak.

I'm open to any ideas for all of those problems.
        Aside from the power steering fluid my car does the same thing, I just blamed it on my dumbassery.

"If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell."
        -Gen. Philip Henry Sheridan

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
          I know what the power steering fluid is caused be. Pisses me off too. If you turn the wheel with the engine off it will burst out of the cap.
          I found that one out the hard way too!!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
          My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Yea, my brothers 90s Vic uses oil, no leaking and no smoking, is the PCV the likely culprit? ANy other ideas?
            2000 Grand Marquis LS
            2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
            1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
            Mercury Owners Group member
            Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark
              Yea, my brothers 90s Vic uses oil, no leaking and no smoking, is the PCV the likely culprit? ANy other ideas?
              Maybe not the most likely, but its a cheap possibility and nobody changes those things anyway. Just make sure to do the valve, grommet and screen all at once. The parts can be had from Napa, and probably most places if you can get them to understand wtf you're talking about. The screen is sometimes called the crank ventilation filter. The PCV valve is important because without it, the crankcase will build pressure and actually force oil out of the engine either past the seals or past the piston rings or valve seals into the cylinder. The screen under the PCv valve often gets crudded up, making it ineffective, and that rubber grommet is usually hard as a rock and doesn't seal, so pretty much the whole system becomes worthless.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X