Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to by pass the fuel pump on an '84 stock CFI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to by pass the fuel pump on an '84 stock CFI?

Well since the accident killed the fuel pump, I was wondering if anyone knew how to sort of prime the fuel injection system to see if the motor (and tranny) are still any good. I know in the old days of carburetors it's just a simple dump a little gas into the carb and crank it over and it'll run for a minute. But what do you do in the old CFI system? I never really messed with it, it just seemed like such weird technology. Is there anyway I can rig an auxiliary gas can and get it going?

sigpic

the fuel pump primes the system. Check your fuses. the impact may have caused a momentary short that popped the fuse to the pump. Also, the relay is up near the nose of the car (driver fender next to the washer tank) and may have been damaged as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah I'd check the safety shut off under the drivers side trunk arm. Push that white button down and see if that fixes the pump
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Originally posted by fmansfield444 View Post
        Yeah I'd check the safety shut off under the drivers side trunk arm. Push that white button down and see if that fixes the pump
        Yep, I tried but it wouldn't kick back on

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
          the fuel pump primes the system. Check your fuses. the impact may have caused a momentary short that popped the fuse to the pump. Also, the relay is up near the nose of the car (driver fender next to the washer tank) and may have been damaged as well.
          Ah thank you! I don't know why I never thought to check the fuse to the pump or the relay. I'll have to go over and check it out when it's not pouring out after the adjuster comes

sigpic

Comment

if all else fails... you can use a 12V battery (like used in uninterpretable power supplies) or a spare car battery... or just some long piece of wire to hotwire the pump and have someone connect the wire while you crank it (can be done at the relay point - just shove the wire in the connector - or even at the tank, but some wire cutting may be needed near the tank). You definitely want to make sure the radiator fan is NOT bound up or bent first (remove if neccessary).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X