Growling At Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growling At Me

So this morning when I went to start the car, I heard what sounded like the water pump growling at me. It is a persistent sound.

I'm told that the water pump is quiet and it is the alternator bearings going south. Is this plausible?

Also, when I stop the car at a red light or stop sign, the car tries to stall out - I suspect this is a seizing pulley or some such.

Anyone have any advice?

For that matter, what kind of alternator should I replace the existing factory one with? I keep reading about these 3G and 4G ones...

Comment

remove the belt and spin things. The noisy item is your problem. Let us know what it is.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        remove the belt and spin things. The noisy item is your problem. Let us know what it is.
        The mechanic had a listen to the water pump and the alternator and said it was the alternator making a weird "clackity" sound. It was also very hot to the touch.

I dunno how to take the belt off, and I'd probably end up ruining something knowing me.

I'll bring it to a different place tomorrow and pay them to do what you suggested and get back to ya though (assuming the car is safe to drive in this condition).

Comment

I don't mean to be rude here, but if you don't know how to take the belt off, I'd have to suggest you probably aren't going to have much success in replacing the alternator, let alone with a non-stock one. Step one is basically remove the belt.

its 2 bolts. top alternator bolt and lower alternator bolt. Loosen the lower, then the upper and the alternator will move so you can remove the belt. Reverse to re-install, making the belt plenty tight or it will scream.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ha. I'm hardly offended. My mechanical ineptitude isn't something that I worry about very much.

I have a mechanic to look after my car for me, after all.

I just wanted to get some opinions and stuff, which I always appreciate - personal opinions of my mechanical ability notwithstanding!

Comment

pretty much what was said is true. typically it's either the alternator or the tensioner pulley on the AC side. But without taking the belts off and spinning pulleys, you won't find it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well the AC belt was disconnected a week ago, because all that is there is the AC compressor and the air pump. Since the AC system has no charge, and the air pump is useless anyways, the mechanic just cut it off for me thereby giving me a mini-turbocharge on the engine (and it runs quieter too).

So it's therefore one of the other pulleys.

Comment

...And now the battery is dead?

Car won't start; there's barely enough power to actuate the door locks.

Wonderful.

Comment

I had the thing towed to Canadian Tire.

It seems the alternator took the battery with it, so I need to spend $366. Quid pro quo.

Comment

bah. if they'll work with you and do the 2-wire soldering job, have them upgrade it to a 3G alternator instead of replacing with a 2G stock fire hazard.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        bah. if they'll work with you and do the 2-wire soldering job, have them upgrade it to a 3G alternator instead of replacing with a 2G stock fire hazard.
                        Is there any disadvantage to going with a 3G?

I know my iPhone uses a 3G connection...

Comment

It's a moot point, they already ordered the stock fire hazard.

But fear not, I shall install a fire extinguisher under the hood.

Comment

if the replacement is the modified kind that uses a bolt on charge connector... you might be able to avoid the fire hazard that is the charge connector. If not, keep an eye on the connector. if it starts to yellow/blacken, the connector is arcing and soon to start a fire/melt the connector.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                              if the replacement is the modified kind that uses a bolt on charge connector... you might be able to avoid the fire hazard that is the charge connector. If not, keep an eye on the connector. if it starts to yellow/blacken, the connector is arcing and soon to start a fire/melt the connector.
                              I'll post a picture of the alternator and you tell me if it's bad for me or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X