Car stalling at first startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car stalling at first startup

For a couple of days now the car stalls after starting . The engine raises and lowers the RPM erratically and then stalls. Does this a few tmes, then evens out and runs normally. Made a 200km roundtrip yesterday (highway and city traffic), no stalling, power and acceleration good for the drive. Came back and parked overnight and the symptoms occured again this morning. Starts normally, runs for a few meters, stalls. After a few minutes runs normally again.
    Recent maintenance: New plugs and wires, New Distrubutor cap and rotor, new thermostat, new TV bushing last week.
    New Alternator and battery 6 months ago.

What could be the cause?
    Vapor lock? Water in the gas tank? Bad fuel pump or fuel filter?

Thanks
    sigpic1988 Colony Park

I'd be starting with the standard clean the iac and throttle body. If you see any black on the throttle body it definately needs a cleaning. When its dirty it reduces the idle air "leak" that the computer expects from the throttle body, it then further regulates the idle rpm with the IAC. If its dirty, it usually starts by a hunting idle.

Alex.

Comment

also, check the vacuum hose to the MAP sensor (attached to the firewall passenger side of center near the intake plenum)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OK Thanks. Will do ASAP
        sigpic1988 Colony Park

Comment

Update - I had the IAC valve and the throttle body cleaned and replaced. No change. The stalling is still there. Should I replace the valve ?
          sigpic1988 Colony Park

Comment

how is the vacuum line to the map sensor? check that, if all good replacing the iac not a bad idea.......try to source a motorcraft iac tho, most of the aftermarket brand iac's are no good

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by gopiqpp View Post
              Update - I had the IAC valve and the throttle body cleaned and replaced. No change. The stalling is still there. Should I replace the valve ?
              ...did you replace and or check the vacuum hose going to the map sensor?.....if it is dry rotted or cracked it needs replaced, and will cause stumbling and stalling

Comment

Might also be worth checking it for codes and checking the water and air temperature sensors with a meter to make sure they have the proper output. If those sensors are faulty, it may or may not produce codes but it can make for hard starting. Charts for proper output vs temperature can be found here:

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I will check the vacuum line going to the map sensor. Starting is easy. It's only a minute later after the idle drops to normal that it stalls. Sometimes she'll even idle for about 5 minutes before stalling. During this time the idling is smooth. If I raise the engine and drive her around with the AC on she acts normal. Parked and idling and she will stall.
                  Last edited by gopiqpp; 06-30-2013, 01:07 PM.
                  sigpic1988 Colony Park

Comment

OK. Problem solved. Just spayed the electrical connectors of both the IAC and the MAP sensor with contact cleaner, and replaced the vacuum hose of the MAP. She is idling and running sweetly now. Thanks for all the help.
                    sigpic1988 Colony Park

Comment

Cool. Gotta love a simple fix.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I guess I spoke too soon !! The problem is back this morning. I guess I will have to look for a new IAC by Motorcraft. May be difficult to find in Saudi.
                        sigpic1988 Colony Park

Comment

does rock auto deliver over there mang?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

they might. looks like Saudi is in the shipping list. The post code for Riyadh gives shipping of FedEx Economy at $31 and change. With the Motorcraft IAC (part number CX1824) the total out is $109.97usd. enter the discount code from the vendor's forum to lower that a dink.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OK. I am heading into town today to hit the Auto parts stores. Hope to find one. If not I will have to order it from the USA.
                              sigpic1988 Colony Park

Comment

Working...
                              X