SEFI Fuel Line Quick Connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEFI Fuel Line Quick Connector

This question is for my '80 Mark VI, which I did the SEFI conversion on. Recently I somehow acquired a hole in my gas tank, causing me to have to change out the entire tank. During the process, the quick connect fitting for the Send Side of the Fuel Pump (the one that connects directly to the Fuel Send side fitting coming out of the fuel pump hanger assembly) broke on me. Went to the parts store and found that the only piece they had that was near close to fitting was a Dorman 5/16 Fuel Injection Quick Connector. After getting this piece home I found that it doesn't even come close to fitting the Send Side line on the '87 Hanger assembly I have, even though the line is 5/16 on the send side. It fits the 1/4in Return side line just fine though. I came to the conclusion that the Send Side line on the fuel pump hanger must be some oddball size that you can't get anymore. I visited several junkyards, only to find the pieces already gone on all of the vehicles that would have had them.

Anyone know of a source for this piece?, or am I stuck scouring the junkyards for the next few weeks/months until I find one? Anyone have one laying around they would send me for a few bones? This is really holding up my summer cruising.....

Its a bit of a kludge, but you can probably just use a piece of fuel injection rubber fuel hose to connect from the pump hanger to the steel line on the car, just using clamps on each end to secure it. Short of that, does it happen to be the same fitting as the fuel filter? That one should be easy enough to get, even if it is from a donor car.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget, I already tried using the same "Gates Barricade" 5/16 rubber line/FI Clamp, that I used on the rest of the car to connect to the fuel pump hanger line. It was no dice. With the line on the hanger being totally smooth and not having a barb on the end, as soon as it becomes pressurized, it pushes the hose right off within 10-15 seconds of running, and sprays fuel everywhere. I tried fitting the 5/16 QC fitting I have to both the fuel filter ends, and it fits perfectly. It will not push onto the send side of the FP Hanger though, which is what made me think it must be some slightly larger oddball size.

Comment

It doesn't have that raised bump where the quick connect clip sits that you can jam the hose over to use as a barb? Just spitballing here. I don't know if the hanger and plumbing might be a little different on an '80 but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it is. Maybe the solution is a later pump hanger assembly if the early one is different.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I appreciate the replys. This was originally a carb'd car, and didn't have the provision for an electric fuel pump in the tank, so I had to install an 86-89 SEFI tank. The pump hanger assembly is from an '87 Grand Marquis. It does have the bump for the QC clip, but the thick Gates 5/16 FI hose won't push over it whatsoever, I pushed as hard as I possibly could trying to get it over, and it wasn't going, would need to use a larger size hose, which then wouldn't connect up correctly to the 5/16 steel lines above the tank. Seems like finding the factory QC piece should be the easiest way to get back on the road here.

Comment

Modify a set of needle nose pliers to put a couple bumps into the line. You don't need a full bead around the end, but a 2 shoulld do the trick.
            Grind them down so you get to a beefier section of the plier and still fit in the tube, grind a groove in one jaw, and grind down the other jaw to leave a corresponding bump. Also grind down further up the jaw with the bump so you have a bit of extra squeezing room. (pink your filing away as needed).

Depending on how tough the tube you are working with is, you might find it easier to squeeze your beader jaws shut with a large pair of visegrips. You'll need to gnaw at it, won't be an instant bump, but it'll keep clamps from slipping off.

Alex.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by GM_Guy; 07-06-2013, 04:50 PM.

Comment

^Not a bad idea, but pete (mcninetyone) is gonna be hooking me up with the piece that I need. If that ends up being the wrong size piece, I'll just flare the end of the line, and run a hose/clamp from then on. Should be back out there cruising in class again soon!

Comment

Working...
              X