questions about getting shafted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

questions about getting shafted

I figure that topic ought to either scare everyone away or pique intrest. Whatever.

I'm thinking about swapping the steel driveshaft from my TC out for an aluminum one. Is this a direct swap, or do I need to change the tranny yoke or the flange on the rear or anything? I have a tow package car, so the U joints are bigger. The tranny yoke on my car is also a little different than most. I don't have the big ring of metal for a vibration damper that most have, My driveshaft looks like one from a truck, no damper rings on the yokes or anything like that.

Any info y'all have is appreciated. Thanks.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I don't know if your town car is the same but ronman swears that towncars have longer driveshafts than the vic/marq making this a no go. I really can't see ford wasting extra money for driveshafts and when I compared my 82 vics and townys shafts they seemed close but I haven't done a real good measure yet. I do know that the t/c has a longer tailshaft on the tranny (at least the 90+ don't know about boxes).
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

:stupid:

I don't see why they would be different. I'm sure they are on the lengthened Town Cars, but who knows. I'd say try it. If it doesn't work, sell it. Or try to make it work.

Comment

I know towncars have a longer wheelbase, and a longer AOD tailshaft to compensate.

However, That is where the difference ends, I beleve.

Someone wanna go measure their driveshaft, and report the results? I'm not near my car, so I can't
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
          I know towncars have a longer wheelbase
          You sure? I thought only the stretched ones do. Did they even make the stretched boxes?

Comment

the towncar shaft is longer......i have just confirmed that
            happen to have a 86 towncar apart and i compared to my alum 98 shaft for the vic

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Shit!

Comment

also notice that the 4r70w takes a fatter yoke..........that's the shaft that chris and ryan found me at the junkyard during scottfest..........sorry only that one pic before the batteries crapped out on my digicam
                scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

i want an aluminum shaft for Grey October, but i have the steel shaft
                  Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I knew about the length difference, I was actually planning to rob one from a Towncar. My question was more about whether I could swap an aluminum TC shaft (assuming I can find one) for my present steel TC shaft.

Actually, the tranny yoke from the aluminum one is exactly what my driveshaft has. My U joints are at least 1/2" wider than the normal ones. I found this out when I went to change them and got the normal ones, not tow package joints.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They have aluminum tc shafts, do tell...

Comment

Originally posted by Cogs
                        Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                        I know towncars have a longer wheelbase
                        You sure? I thought only the stretched ones do. Did they even make the stretched boxes?
                        A standard Town Car is 6"(?) longer than a CV/GM.
                        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Hm, if I recall correctly the wheelbase difference is only 2", the rest comes from the body.

Comment

Working...
                          X