Fuel gauge stuck on half full

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel gauge stuck on half full

So my little brother inherited the blue beast because I got a great deal on a gas sipper.

The problem is that you turn the key on and the gauge goes to half a tank and stops. He has maybe 1/4 tank of gas in it.
    He ran out of gas last week because he didn't realize that the gauge was not moving lol.

I was wondering if this was a fuel sending unit problem, a gauge problem, or a float problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Or half empty

Comment

sounds like the float is somehow mechanically stuck or the sending unit has failed. Normally these read full or empty when something goes flaky though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You have to check it.
        With the key in the "on" position but with the engine not running. You have to get up under the car and ground the sending unit.
        If it goes to full on the gauge, it's a bad sending unit.
        If it doesn't, then it's probably a bad gauge.
        You'll need help, some one to watch the gauge while you do this.
        Last edited by mcninetyone; 08-17-2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

If the gauge itself has a loose ground it could possibly do this (though I've never seen one sit dead center). Also, if the anti-slosh module has shorted out in a weird way, it could also do this.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X