Explorer Intake Air Temp sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Explorer upper intake does not have a provision for the Air Temp Sensor. Were do you put it?

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

There should be a boss in the #5 intake runner, you have to drill and tap it.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Some of the "newer" (99/00/01?) do not have the boss........i've got a buddy that has one like that, he just leaves it lying on the intake lol..........you can actually CAREFULLY drill the #5 runner itself but it doesnt have alot "meat" or relocate it to the inlet tubing.........
      Last edited by Mr.Blue; 09-05-2013, 09:52 AM.
      Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
        The Explorer upper intake does not have a provision for the Air Temp Sensor. Were do you put it?
        Like Panterra77 and Mr. Blue said. If you have an early intake 96-98 there will be a flat boss for you to drill and tap. The later ones don't have the boss. I'd like to add, that if you do decide to add it to the intake inlet tubing (or the air box if you put in 92+ air box), it's not going to run just right, as the computers are programmed to expect higher temperatures. Without modifying the computer's tune, it won't be running at it's best.

Comment

Its a 1988 GM....HO motor from a 1992 Mark series....got the ECM from the Mark as well.
          Whats the tap size?
          Not to be completely stoopid is "the boss" the EGR?

Comment

The boss in on the Explorer lower intake not the upper.
            The boss is not the EGR, it's the spot on the Explorer lower intake where enough meat was left in the casting to drill and tap it for the ATS.
            You can see it clearly!
            Basically same location as the lopo.

Comment

I *think* the tap is 3/8" NPT, but verify that. Its definitely a pipe thread whatever it is.

Another little thing that relies on that sensor is the ECM going into long term learning mode. If it doesn't see over some temperature, 120F I want to say, it won't go into learn mode.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                Its a 1988 GM....HO motor from a 1992 Mark series....got the ECM from the Mark as well.
                Whats the tap size?
                Not to be completely stoopid is "the boss" the EGR?
                Nope it's not stupid at all, I'm not sure of tap size I think it's 5/8 coarse. But I am not sure. I just think I remember seeing that when I was researching this.

The boss is a blank spot where the sensor should be on the 5th cylinder runner. Early explorer intakes have it and later ones don't.

You can see the boss in this picture. It's the flat circle on cylinder 5. If yours has this its easy to drill, if not then drilling can be done but be very careful!

Just saw gadgets post and I think he's right on the thread and tap size. Disregard mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21378415746.599277.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1273028
                Last edited by fmansfield444; 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

[QUOTE=fmansfield444;702955]

The boss is a blank spot where the sensor should be on the 5th cylinder runner. Early explorer intakes have it and later ones don't.

You can see the boss in this picture. It's the flat circle on cylinder 5. If yours has this its easy to drill, if not then drilling can be done but be very careful!

Once again a picture is worth a thousand words, thanks for posting this pic.

Comment

The drill bit is like a 15/64" or something really weird like that. Be sure to drill the proper hole before you tap it! Gadget is right on the 3/8" NPT. NPT sizes are weird, so make sure you're using the right tap!

Comment

Thanks for the knowledge...its actually what my mechanic is doing .....putting the finishing touches on my engine swap.
                      He had a hunch about that tap size Gadget confirmed.

Cant wait....pics soon, promise!

Comment

Working...
                      X