Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant Loss V2

So I have me a mystery.

My vehicle is losing about 2 inches out of the radiator every 24 hours or so. There are no obvious signs of leakage.

The water pump is being held on by 8 instead of 9 bolts. I'm told this is plenty as long as they are torqued properly, which they are.

Running the vehicle and peering underneath shows no leakage.

The temperature gauge shows between 195F and 205F when driving.

My theory is that I have blocked channels inside the heads causing the coolant to somehow evaporate inside the engine.

Any opinions?

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
    So I have me a mystery.

My vehicle is losing about 2 inches out of the radiator every 24 hours or so. There are no obvious signs of leakage.

The water pump is being held on by 8 instead of 9 bolts. I'm told this is plenty as long as they are torqued properly, which they are.

Running the vehicle and peering underneath shows no leakage.

The temperature gauge shows between 195F and 205F when driving.

My theory is that I have blocked channels inside the heads causing the coolant to somehow evaporate inside the engine.

Any opinions?
    Coolant doesn't evaporate in a sealed system. If you have your EGR cooler bs still hooked up (assuming this is an EFI model) you may be burning it.
    Last edited by 86VickyLX; 09-08-2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

coolant cannot evaporate inside the engine. Imagine you take a soda bottle and half fill it with water. Put the cap back on and stick it in the sun. You can leave it out there for weeks and it won't lose water. Remove the cap, and the water can evaporate out, with the cap on it can't leave. Same idea with a cooling system. If the water is going away, its got a leak somewhere, either to the outside of the engine or the inside. Outside is far more likely. Not uncommon to have things leak only when hot, and it will just evaporate off without ever showing a puddle. A pressure tester is your friend.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alright, I'm gonna try and bring it to the mechanic dude tomorrow.

Really hoping it's something minor...

Comment

All original gaskets and hoses?
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Upper radiator hose along with the radiator and water pump were replaced at the beginning of June, a bit before the collision.

Perhaps the radiator itself got damaged in said collision...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
              Perhaps the radiator itself got damaged in said collision...
              Wouldn't hurt to have it pressure tested next time the car gets serviced.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I hope it's just a stupid hose and not a cracked head or block. Jesus H, that'll really make me unbalanced.

Comment

the iron stuff very seldom is the problem. only way that cracks is if some idiot filled it with water and let it freeze. the core plugs sometimes rot out, but those are just steel and not the end of the world to deal with. its annoying, but not actually that hard as long as you can get at them. the ones that are in inconvenient spots pretty much suck though.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, it seems I'm losing coolant even while the car sits overnight (about an inch over 12 hours).

This makes me think it's not the engine but rather a failed hose or something similar.

Comment

Well the mechanic did a pressure test and found no leaks.

He suspects the radiator cap is to blame, so I replaced it.

I'm told to watch the level for a week and if it's going down then I'm facing a potential head gasket failure.

Wonderous.

Comment

A head gasket leak with no pressure loss on a test makes no sense. In fact a significant leak with no tested pressure drop makes no sense. Except for the cap, but why the heck didn't the mechanic check the cap? Every leak detector I have seen can check our caps. Not that replacing a cap is a big deal or a bad idea, unless you bought the cheap Chinese cap that is.

If it is not the cap, do you have access to a uv leak detector? If so, buy a bottle of the dye and use the test light after a few driving days.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Could you walk me through the steps of a UV leak detector? I'd love to give it a go.

I'm glad to hear that my head gaskets aren't likely the issue. I was gearing up to do a payment plan to afford an engine rebuild..

Comment

failed head gaskets only show up with the engine running, not with the car sitting.

Comment

The dye goes in the radiator. You drive it and let it leak for the min time necessary. Then in the dark you look over the whole engine and cooling system with the uv light. The external leak will fluoresce. With the correct dye It is used for any oil, fluid or AC leak.

Though if the guy found no pressure drop it could indeed be just the cap.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X