Synthetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic

I need to do an oil change, one of the many winterize/fuel economy projects..

I was told that some older cars have problems with it, which really didnt make to much sense to me, so I wanted to know if there would be any problems?

I plan to do it this weekend and want to get a bottle of the cleaner you run through to get rid of some grime.. than probably go with Mobile 1 or something.. Any real synthetic brands you guys reccomend? Im also planning on 5w30.

sorry for the r00kie thread

dont do it! most of the time when you run synthetic in an older engine new oil leaks will develop...........start out with synthetic blend first

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

oh really? wow, I thought the guy was on crack when he said that..

so a synthetic blend, will I still get trouble from that? should I stick to the regular stuff?

Any brand reccomendations..

and dammit too.

Comment

Why 5W?

Comment

Originally posted by Stu
          Why 5W?
          for colder weather duh george!!!
          Originally posted by GMGT
          you mangwhore

resident sniper expert

Comment

Thats what I figured, its a cooolllld long winter way up here.

I still dont understand why it would cause more leaks, I thought that would mainly be the viscosity.

Comment

When I got my car, it had regular 10w30. I switched it to Castrol Syntech Blend and did a Lucas treatment to help with leaks (was told it can help swell the gaskets). After a few changes i switched to Mobil One 10w30 with an occasional Lucas treatment. Leaks are better than ever

1986 Grand Marquis LS coupe [/url] http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
              sigpic
              1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Synthetic keeps your engine cleaner--which could clean away sludge that is holding back an oil leak or two.

Comment

Do not do 5W. 5W is too thin for a push rod block. Especialy one at the age of yours. Do 10W in winter and you could even go to 15w in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ape
                    I still dont understand why it would cause more leaks, I thought that would mainly be the viscosity.
                    the only way i can think that it would is cus teh molecules of synthetic oil are smaller and get in to smaller holes that regular oil
                    Originally posted by GMGT
                    you mangwhore

resident sniper expert

Comment

I'm going to break my rebuilt engine in on regular 10W40 oil, then go synthetic.
                      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

i've been running my lincoln on 10w30 and ocasionally 10w30 synthetic blend year round..............couldnt do it on the old lopo........i was running 15w40 and it was burning a qt every 400 mi.......and yes the pcv screen was good lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Ok, so its looking like a 10w30 synthetic blend to start off?

Is this lucus treatment something I can run through the engine in an oil change? may as well give it a shot.

Comment

I've been meaning to switch over to synthetic. I think I'm finally out of oil so next change will go fake oil. Actually Wal Mart oil is pretty darn decent, considering the price, but if you want really good, Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple are all excellent, but not cheap. If you want some more info on oil, have a look at this article written by a guy who actually does this for a living. http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article105.html

The guy has owned since new a Starsky and Hutch Torino, a 429 powered 71 Mach 1 and a couple Mark VII.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I run 5w30 Mobil 1, and it doesn't seem to lose level much - for the last 3500 miles I've added a quart and a half, but that's all. "Too thin for an old pushrod" means that valvetrain ain't gonna get proper lubrication, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X