Junkyard Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junkyard Engine

I need an outside opinion on an junkyard engine.

1988 Crown Vic Wagon sat up the road from my parents house for years. From early 2000's to this past fall. I stopped and tried to buy it, but the owner wouldn't sell. It was rust free (mine's a rust bucket).

Now it shows up in the local pick n save. They get $225 on an engine ($204 with 10% discount ending tomorrow). I need an engine, but can get by without one.

Well the wagon is showing 26K miles on the odometer. Probably 126K - but it has no documentation. Pick N Save is saying 26K actual. The inspection ran out in 2004, so it was last ran in 2003. The gas tank is bad, so they couldn't verify that it runs. I doubt it was started at all since then. It does turn over.

From an outside perspective, would you guys take it or leave it?

Freakin' hoarders not selling their stuff and it ends up wasted. A NICE NICE NICE 1989 Wagon was in this same yard last month with only 92K on it - documented. I stole the dash pad and the tailgate window with rubber molding (uncracked). I literally got sick after seeing it in there.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

PS I don't really want an Explorer engine. I mean, I'd take one, but performance isn't really what I'm after at all. Just stock engine.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Junkyard engines are hit and miss. If it's been sitting for a decade, who knows what condition it's in.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        Junkyard engines are hit and miss. If it's been sitting for a decade, who knows what condition it's in.
        I would pass...
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

If you have the means and the know how take a gamble man.. Does the motor look like shit? or just dirty from sitting? My current TC sat for almost a decade and it's a true 48k car and the only thing I had a problem with was with a bad FPR and belts.. Runs like a dream and I still need to do a tune up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
            I need an outside opinion on an junkyard engine.

1988 Crown Vic Wagon sat up the road from my parents house for years. From early 2000's to this past fall. I stopped and tried to buy it, but the owner wouldn't sell. It was rust free (mine's a rust bucket).

Now it shows up in the local pick n save. They get $225 on an engine ($204 with 10% discount ending tomorrow). I need an engine, but can get by without one.

Well the wagon is showing 26K miles on the odometer. Probably 126K - but it has no documentation. Pick N Save is saying 26K actual. The inspection ran out in 2004, so it was last ran in 2003. The gas tank is bad, so they couldn't verify that it runs. I doubt it was started at all since then. It does turn over.

From an outside perspective, would you guys take it or leave it?

Freakin' hoarders not selling their stuff and it ends up wasted. A NICE NICE NICE 1989 Wagon was in this same yard last month with only 92K on it - documented. I stole the dash pad and the tailgate window with rubber molding (uncracked). I literally got sick after seeing it in there.
            Is the rear door seal in good condition? If it is I'll pay you for your time if you'll pull it and send it to me. I can't find any wagons around here and my door seal isn't really sealing too much anymore...

Comment

Decided to pass. Too many variables with the unknown mileage. The brakes say it's certainly 126K or more. The engine was pretty much spotless but it has been washed.

Another reason to pass - looks like a 2000 Explorer is coming in with a 101K 5.0.

The trim and rubber on this wagon are all bad. It's been outside since new - and in the sun. Now the silver 92K wagon was good - but it got crushed apparently. Was only there for a few weeks. RIP I guess. People should really try craigslist or GMN classifieds before junking it. I would have certainly paid them more for it than what they got.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

I'd take it. Most hoarders let it sit if it fails to start and buy something else. Even at 126k, it should be decent..
                Maintaining Grandma's 84 CFI GM for her

Comment

Well maybe good things come to those who wait. Went ahead and plucked it with the AOD attached. Today was 50% off day! So for $160 ($225 with no core returns) I got a new motor and trans.

Notice I said new. Once I got it out, I think it really is 26k as the yard said. Original plugs with minimal wear. Original wires. Original distributor cap and rotor with no wear. All original hoses and clamps. Original water pump still in gray paint. Nothing was touched except for the wires under the hood that got chewed by mice. Even the ports of the lower intake are fairly clean.

I know it was driven during 2003 for the inspection sticker. I'm betting now that it sat a good while before that and thus needed the brake system gone through. Or it could be 126k. Either way I'm happy. Other than wishing the lady had sold me the entire car when I stopped and asked.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                  X