Equal Length Shorty Headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equal Length Shorty Headers?

Any problems with running each length shorty headers on a box with a stock mustang h-pipe? I figure there is plenty of room in the engine bay but I dont have my car here to go poke around and check.

-Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Yeah, the problem is getting to the sparkplugs, lol...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

People around you will have jealousy, confusion, and pitty all at the same time.

Comment

they fit but it comes real close to stuff........only worth 2-5 hp takes a contortionist to change the plugs
        brian the transmission guru put equal length bbk's on the 347 wagon he built for a customer

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I saw two sets on ebay so I figured I would ask about them. I wonder how many bones I woudl have to break in my hands to get the plugs in. lol
          -Matt

Comment

I have em on my 2 door. They fit fine, the spark plugs dont look TOO bad. I'm sure a spark plug socket with a u-joint on the end would help a lot though. Mine are BBK equal lengths I think...if not BBK, then MAC. They're connected to either a BBK or MAC H-pipe. I forget which one is which.

Comment

Any problem using stock-style plug wires? I don't want to burn through them or anything.
              -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Cogs
                I have em on my 2 door. They fit fine, the spark plugs dont look TOO bad. I'm sure a spark plug socket with a u-joint on the end would help a lot though. Mine are BBK equal lengths I think...if not BBK, then MAC. They're connected to either a BBK or MAC H-pipe. I forget which one is which.
                Can you change the plugs and give us a detailed report? Christmas is coming up soon. I'll put the equal-length headers on my list for Santa if changing the plugs isn't a pain in the ass. I'll even buy you a next time you're in Boston, brotha.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Whats the big deal with teh hassle of equal length when you can just go with unequal shorty headers with no problems.
                  The Best
                  Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

equal length gives more hp

smoother backpressures also if i recall correctly
                    GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                    1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                    99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                    03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                    95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Originally posted by Cogs
                      MAC does not have a soid flange. Once you unbolt a MAC set, plan on blood loss and swearing to get them bolted back up. Don't be quick to say that spark plug changing isn't a big deal if you haven't tried it yet.

After you have changed a set of spark plugs on the latest SS FRPP shorty headers which fit both standard and P heads, it is hard to justify a set of equal length shorty headers just to gain 2 HP.

Comment

I had mac equals on mine. Threw them out and got the BBK shorties for this car. There were clearance issues on the steering shaft, and clearance issues with one of the bolts on the engine mount on the passenger side. Spark plug wires had issues on a few cylinders, well one.
                        BUT, I can't really complain about the results I had with that motor....
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Cross the equal length headers off on my Christmas list.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                          Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                          5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

They sold for about $60-$75 on ebay, BBK ones too I wasn't getting stuck with crappy mac's that warp. I was out of town for the weekend though and didn't bid.
                            -Matt

Comment

Working...
                            X