Odd idle and low oil light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd idle and low oil light

My idle has become very inconsistent on my 1990 marquis. It will occasionally be extremely high or low and sometimes my low oil light (at least I think it's low oil) will flash on and off rapidly while I'm stopped until I hit the gas pedal again. Any ideas?
    1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
    1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

That is a "low oil pressure" light on 90+

Put a little thicker oil in it and keep on rockin'

Idle could be a sticking IAC. When the idle is wonky, tap it with the handle of a hammer. See if it changes. One of mine did before.
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

if the engine is idling too low, low oil pressure is normal. Clean the IAC and check for vacuum leaks. Also check for codes, just in case that has anything useful. Bad temperature sensors can do this too.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was thinking iac. Thicker oil sounds good though. Thanks fellas

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
        1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
        1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

you really don't want thicker oil unless you have to. If it idles too low, fix that first.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was thinking maybe just go to 10W-40 instead of 10W-30. Don't go dumping 20W-50 in it just yet. haha

But yes, fix the idle issue. It may be lowering it enough to kick the light on.
            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Oil pressure and oil flow are two different things. Thicker oil may increase you're pressure at the expense of reducing flow, especially when cold.

Comment

Working...
              X