rebuilding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuilding question

finally putting my engine back together, (i have helped rebuild 2 motors before, never did one myself.) got a brand new premium crank kit. ( said 10/10) installed and it spun easily, put all rods and pistons on and gradually got harder to turn. now i have to lean on a 1/2 breaker bar to rotate. is that normal? i don't remember any of the other engines i helped with be that tight before heads and all were on. (others were all chevy's though)

There is usually a speck that is needs to be met. Too much torque required to turn it means it’s too tight and will burn up the bearings. You need to find out what the acceptable torque range is for your engine. Use a torque wrench to turn the engine and see if it’s within the range. If not you will need something like plastic gauge to check the bearing clearances to see which part is too tight.

Once an engine is put together and running the engine gets hotter and those clearances get even tighter. This happed to a 305 I built when I was young and didn’t know better. Tore up one of the connecting rod bearings (too tight).

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

Comment

Working...
    X