HO Throttle body mod questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HO Throttle body mod questions

I have a cold air (warm air) chrome intake tube and conical air filter bolted on the stock TB. I have a few questions about bolting on the HO TB.

I bought another 50mm TB (stock) and have a 60mm TB (HO). I didn't know the 50mm was so puny. What was Ford thinking when they put this thing on a 5.0L 302 motor? It's small, it steps down inside, it's awful!!! I know I have to put the 50mm throttle arm on the 60mm TB. Can the HO TPS and IAC be used for my application or do I have to use the non-HO parts for my GM?

What kind of lube should be used on the TB? Is silicone spray OK?

I want to use new mounting hardware. What size studs are used to bolt the TB and EGR to the upper intake? Are vise grips the best way to remove and install them?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

1) you can use either, but if you use the HO IAC, you aren't going to be able to unplug it once you bolt the throttle cables up. They fit up the same, just the HO one has the plugs at a 90 degree angle. TPS is the same.

2) lube for what? I just cleaned the throttle shaft and used a little motor oil on it. went right together with no troubles.

3) vise grips probably, but honestly there is no need to replace them. If you want to, just yank one and match it for size. It might be metric threads tho, I'm not sure. Actually 3 of mine came out with the nut when I removed the throttle body.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My TB and studs have a light, powder-like coating (probably corrosion) on them. I also don't want the butterfly to stick. I'd like to bolt on something that won't give me any issues.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
      5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

the studs are standard thread...Like 5/16"
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the butterfly sticking, the return spring is pretty strong so with or without lubrication it should be working properly. If ya wanna lube something, lube the return spring, the tranny kickdown bushing, and the ball for the accelerator cable.

Comment

Working...
          X