Choke Failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke Failure?

A side effect of Canadian Tire working on my car is that my choke doesn't seem to work properly anymore.

Upon starting, the engine dies immediately if I don't have the gas pushed in a little bit. Also, it chugs and lugs when I try to accelerate.

After about 10 minutes it smartens up and doesn't do it anymore.

Anyone know if this is a simple fix?

Thanks.

wait, didn't you say it wasn't charging anymore? If the charging system isn't working, the choke won't work correctly either. It powers direct from the alternator. Make sure that works first before you get too far into this.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry.

After Friday the volt gauge is showing roughly 14.1V, which is actually more (13.5-ish) than it would be when running normally.

They told me on Friday at CT that they had disconnected a vacuum line and plugged it, and now my car might have a "slight choke" issue.

I gotta stop blindly trusting people.

Comment

So I went and rescued my car from Canadian Tire.

The wire they snipped has been put back into place and they added some wires to the main relay.

Whatever, I don't need a choke.

Comment

Run, don't walk, from that place!

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

I drove fast.

I've composed a letter to their corporate head office in Toronto and I've submitted a scything review to my local "Letter To The Editor" newspaper.

Comment

They just go in and start cutting wires?
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(23).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1274415

Behold the carnage.

Comment

We dont call it crappy tire for nothing.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Thats the spark retard connection from the MCU to the Duraspark box. I wonder if they set the timing properly. From memory here, you have to unplug that connector, jump the wires together on the box side, and then set the ignition timing. If they set it with that wire just clipped, the timing might be who the hell knows where. That may be the real cause of why it doesn't run right, though randomly disconnected things are not liable to be helpful.

You really need to find a good mechanic. Obviously the people at Crappy Tire don't know how to work on this.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey gagdet, I have an appointment on Friday with my regular mechanic who runs his own shop.

Could you get back to me before Friday on that retard stuff? Thanks.

Comment

So it's still having choke issues. Somewhat milder than before but it's still not working properly.

I'm thinking my car will just have to permanently be like this. Will there be any damage to the engine?

Alternatively, is it relatively easy to repair the damage that those assholes did to my car?

Comment

I will confirm what gadget said is correct. If they adjusted the ignition timing with it not connected the base timing will be advanced when the wire is re-connected, as the ignition module advances the base timing when you connect those two input wires. (I literally just dealt with this myself)....

BUT

I see the MCU is there, so assuming the rest of the sensors and wiring are still there, the two wires should be reconnected back to the original wires, as the computer will be able to control the timing. Sorry I forgot whether you still have the variable venturi carb or a different one on there?

As far as the choke goes...no it should not damage anything unless it is stuck ON all the time in which case the car will run rich and may fry your cats. If it has trouble activating which it sounds like it does then it will just run rough when warming up.
                          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

So those double fuckups at CT butchered my choke/ignition timing? Wonderful.

I hope it's an easy repair.

And thank you guys for chiming in.

Comment

Working...
                            X